New guy from NC.

Home Forums General Discussion New guy from NC.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brian Key
    Participant

@mpavble

Hello all.  I was looking for a proper place to introduce myself and this seemed as goo as any.  i just bought my first TD replica today.  Its a FiberFab built on and titled as a 1969 Beetle.  I love her! awesome little car.  She needs a few minor things (At 2300.00 who’s complaining) but all in all i think it was a good buy.  Car sat for 20 years and only has 1500 miles on the clock for what that’s worth.  I’ve always been a fan of the MG T series cars and figured this was as close as i will ever come to having one.  the think is a blast to drive and I could park it in my living room.  Anyway just wanted to introduce myself and ask if anyone is close to Hickory NC.

Brian

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Hi and welcome to the forum. Looks like NC is becoming the TD Replica place to be. Check out the registry and if my count is right you make 5 or more of us in this state.Lots of good info on this site from those who have been there and done that and are glad to share our success and failures as well. Enjoy your new toy.

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Hello and welcome, Soundls like a great deal! However, NC is over their quota for TD replicas, so you’ll have to sell her, or move to another state

Rich

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Welcome aboard!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

thomas swartzwelder
    Participant

@tomscs

Welcome to the group. I live in Rocky Mount.

Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

Welcome

There is a wealth of information here

Greg Stickney
    Participant

@stickney

Nice to have you here with us!

Greg

John McDermon
    Participant

@hawk521

Brian,

I’m not too far away in Rural Hall, NC 10 miles north of Winston-Salem.  About 80 miles or so from Hickory.

I bought my replica MG TD last October – a Chevette based CMC kit that has had several prior owners.  I bought it partially assembled.  It had the basic running gear, but the body was not fully assembled, nor did it have any useable wiring or lights.  I spent the winter reworking things and got it titled and on the road just a month ago. 

I’ve not yet considered driving it as far as Hickory – and I’d have to find the back road route if I ever drive it that way.  Mine will run 70+ mph – but the steering is a bit twitchy at speed and I’d be worn out after an hour or more on the interstate.

If you ever plan a trip toward Winston-Salem, shoot me an email at john@mcdermon.com before you head out.  The wife and I are around home most of the time on weekends.

-john

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

John,

Sounds like you have made some great progess getting this car on the road.  The twitchy stearing can be resolved by doing the appropiate alignment.  There are some web sites that can guide you as to how you can do a home alignment with some simple tools.  Sounds like you’re close to having a very nice pute-pute.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

I think I’m going to move to North Carolina

Welcome to the group.

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Brian,

Just curious about the “twitchy” steering. I think the Chevettes have a “rag joint” that connects to steering column to the Rack/Pinion steering. Mine is a Ford Mustang front end and that rubber/plastic joint disintegrated making the steering like a stick in a fish bowl. Easy and very cheap fix. Could be your problem?

Good luck!

Rich

Brian Key
    Participant

@mpavble

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responces.   I think I’m gonna like it here.  Gotta get tires on Mon. and then next weekend is devoted to getting ready for paint. The following weekend I will be painting the car and getting the bugs worked out.  The thing is so small I can paint the whole thing with a quart.  By far the easiest car I’ve ever painted.  I’ll post pics when she’s done.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.