Home Forums General Discussion New Member

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant

@v8-square

Hi. I am new to the forum and live in Northwester Illinois. I have a project I have been working on for some time, and would like to change bodies. It is a 1969 VW Type III Squareback. I have a coustome tube chassis (same wheelbase as a VW)I’d like to put a TD body on it. Anyone know where I can get one in my area?

Bill Hartwick
    Participant

@greymind

Welcome aboard. U have come to the right place. There are people here who can answer just about all of your questions. Post pic of your ride when u get time. Have fun and enjoy.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Isn’t the rear track in a T-III a few inches wider than a T-I beetle?  And also the flattened fan of the longer (?) T-III suitcase design engine may cause some other fitment problems. 

This one would require considerable head scratchin’ before I attempted it….beyond my range of expertise!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Welcome aboard Tom.

I guess my posting instructions helped, eh?
    You can keep watching ebay and craigslist for unbuilt kits. But I would recommend you follow Roy’s advice and check the measurements.
    The MG TD kits expect a Type 1 (Beetle) wheelbase of 94.5, and a track of about 54-55 inches. Any deviations from that will be difficult to accommodate.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Welcome aboard Tom.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Tom
    Participant

@v8-square

No, it’s not that wider. But, my project is a small block Chevy 350, rear wheel drive.

Tom
    Participant

@v8-square

Hi Paul. Thanks for all of your help. That is what my wheelbase, on my tube chassis is.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I like it

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

From the looks of that chassis and the potential for it to be under an MD TDr body…

…I can’t help but wonder if the engine on the dolly is intended for the lawnmower! 😀

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Tom
    Participant

@v8-square

You guessed it Paul. At my tender age, 70, my big back yard was getting a wee bit too much for my 4 h.p. Craftsman. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.