Home Forums Site Membership New Member

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brian Donnellan
    Participant

@bmd

G’day from Australia
    I stumbled across your site while browsing around for articles relating to my car, which is a 1991 production line built MG TD tribute called TD2000.
    This is a fibreglass bodied car using Nissan engine and running gear.
    These were built here in Australia and were compliant with Australian Design Rules at the time of production.
    They are very faithful in design to the original MG TD and the difference only becomes obvious when the hood is lifted or the on road performance gives it away.
    As best I can establish only 99 were built here before the whole thing was sold to a Malaysian company who continued to produce them there using Toyota parts until quite recently.
    I have heard that Ross Marshall, the man behind the original idea now lives in the USA and is working on a newer version for that market, maybe a little local homework will tell you more.
    My fathers name was Tom and his initials were TD so my wife christened our little car “TOM”.
    Our car had 30 thousand kilometers or about 18 thousand miles on it when we bought it aout 18 months ago and has now got another 6k.
    We use it as a daily driver, it is one of a small number built in British Racing Green and is an attention getter wherever we take it.
    Our five children are all able to give us credible ideas why they should be the one to inherit it when the time comes, the grandchildren love to come to the “Farm” (a little 5 acre block) so that they can ride in TOM.
    I am in my early seventies and retired after a fairly conventional working life including 6 years in the Army serving in Malaya, Borneo and Vietnam, very happily married and enjoying life.
    BMD

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Welcome to the club from sunny California, Mate!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Brian! Thanks for posting. Many of us have admired those TD2000s for years, but never knew anyone who had one (the $50k sticker price kept most of us out of the running). Please stick around and tell of your adventures.

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

WELCOME!
    Glad you’re part of our group.
    We all like seeing pics of each others cars, and I’m sure I’m not the ONLY one who’d enjoy seeing yours, if you get a chance.
    Again, WELCOME!

Amor Conquista Todo

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

I’ve found Ross Marshall’s website. No price info, and I can’t see where his plant is, but except for the steering wheel and the height of the folded top, it really is beautiful: http://us.mgtdclassic.com/

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

I agree the car looks great but the steering wheel has to go. I just replaced mine with a dark wood banjo style from fast five and Im happy as a pig in mud! In fact, I love the choice I made to get rid of the stock VW steering column and istall the 3/4″ chrome steering shaft from EMPI. I found a cool looking bracket to support the shaft on the oak dash. It looks nice all put together!

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

It’s an airbag steering wheel in the pictures. Could it be functional?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Welcome to the group. A bunch of great guys with a ton of information.

In wine there is truth, in water health.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Welcome!

Wish you had found us a year ago. This time last year I was in Australia. My daughter spent a semester at UQ in Brisbane. I met her in Melbourne for the Australian GP, then headed back to Brisbane for ten days.

Loved every minute of it! And look forward to returning some day.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Brian Donnellan
    Participant

@bmd

secretagentcat wrote:
    Welcome to the club from sunny California, Mate!

Thanks for the welcome messages, I will try to get a picture of the TD posted here when I figure out how to do it.
    Rgds BMD

Bill Hartwick
    Participant

@greymind

Glad to have u aboard. Would love to see a picture of ur car.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.