Home Forums Site Membership New Member

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Greg Johannsen
    Participant

@gregj

Hi,

Just registered although I have been lurking for a while. Recently purchased a Duchess from my son. The car was built by his grandfather and he inherited it when his namesake passed away. My son was between jobs and could use the cash so we purchased the car with the understanding that he could buy it back in the future at he same price. I did not realize until recently that Duchess was the name of the kit. The car has always been referred to in the family simply as “The Duchess”.

So far I have replaced a leaking fuel line in the engine compartment and removed the plastic fuel filter having seen the suggestion on every VW forum including here.

I have a noise coming from the back passenger wheel area, have to figure out if it is a wheel bearing or brake noise.

Other than that the car is in great condition. The builder was a car mechanic by trade a one time in his life and tended to be very detailed in his work.

It has been fun reading and hope to have more fun taking part.

Greg

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Welcome home! Beautiful car.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Good looking car.

Re: the fuel filter…
    I hope you did not remove it. You do want a fuel filter in the line.
    Many VW enthusiasts recommend moving it to a spot behind the fan housing, to get it away from the heat of the engine block.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

welcome you will love this bunch of nuts  you must have a fuel filter so replace it before you take her for a ride again there are no stupid questions only stupid answers bounce your thoughts off us anytime

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Hey! Welcome to the club! My Duchess is the exact same kit as yours! I always told everybody that Eliza Jane is Chitty Chitty Bang Bangs evil step sister but to now know that Eliza Jane has a twin Im not sure the world is ready for two of them. Im talkin Armagedon, dogs and cats living together craazy stuff!
    Sure glad to meet ya!

Bill Hartwick
    Participant

@greymind

Welcome, u will like it here. Nice car.

Rosebud and Bill
    Participant

@rosebud-and-bill

Glad to see another California member.  I’m a little North of you in Hemet.

Bill

Bad Bill

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

First off welcome ! I put 2 fuel filters in 1 near carb 1 behind shroud . This was recommended by someone here . When my rear wheel bearing went bad you knew it was a bearing by the way it acted when driving . My mechanic built a tool to press the new one in .I believe there is a assembly diagram somewhere on here . Good luck          

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Welcome to our group!
    I’ll agree, you have a very nice car. I like two tone paint schemes.
    It sounds like you may have some troubles that are not uncommon to middle aged cars like ours.
    I guess it’s just the nature of the beast.
    Anyway, I’m sure you’ll love your car and enjoy our “club”!

Amor Conquista Todo

Greg Johannsen
    Participant

@gregj

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I did buy a replacement fuel filter to put before the engine compartment. Based on the comments I will make it a priority to get it installed.

I went out last night and bought a copy of John Muir’s book. I am committed now.

Greg

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Since youre committted, let me again welcome you to the asylum. Good move on the fuel filter. Ive had small pieces of fuel line get lodged in my intake tube on my carb, usually on the freeway. New fuel lines and filter stopped that nonsence.
    Your car looks great! You said she was built by a private owner and they did a fine job. Mine was factory built and I dont see much difference between our two cars.
    I think that even if your son has the money to buy it back, hell have to pry it from your hands, these things are a blast! Its like being a kid again, only with more money. 😎

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.