New Member from CA

Home Forums Site Membership New Member from CA

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nick Jenkins
    Participant

@nick47

Hi, just found this site. I recently completed a Lotus 7 replica and have been thinking about my next project. The 7 was built entirely from MGB parts, and a TD replica with the same running gear seems feasible. The track and wheelbase look about right. I’d need to find a body for it, but that’s looking like it might not be too difficult.

Anyway, great site, looking forward to getting as much info as I can, and I’ll post up if the project happens. It was four years from getting the idea for the Lotus replica until I first started cutting frame tubes, so it could take awhile. Hopefully not.
    ray10
    Participant

@ray10

Nick welcome to the forum. there is a kit in Calif. that’s for sale good price.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1584165PMOSSBERG2014-01-16 16:14:28

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Welcome!  Jump in and enjoy.  They’re a blast and there’s still some aftermarket support for them….

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’ve not seen a TD kit based on the MGB. You probably have heard of the Victor TFs that were. Beautiful kits and very lifelike, though the B engines have the carbs hanging off the wrong side and the front one always needs to have some kind of custom air cleaner because nothing fits.

Nick Jenkins
    Participant

@nick47

Thanks all for the responses. Ray, I did see that body shell in the classifieds. Not sure if it came with fenders, but maybe things like that can be acquired seperately.

Ed, I’ve never heard of TD kit based on the MGB either, but I’m pretty sure it can be done as a scratch build. I forgot the carbs for the XPAG are on the other side of the engine. They do make a crossflow head for the MGB that puts the carbs on that side, but it’s pricey. And fitting that forward air filter under the hood will be a challenge in any case, but only one of many I’m sure.

I really didn’t know so many different TD replicas were made. I’ll need to do some research. There’s a guy in my neighborhood who’s got a faded old red TD replica under a tarp in his driveway, kind of pushed off into the bushes. Doesn’t look like it’s been driven in years. Not sure what kind it is. I’m thinking about leaving a note on it to see if he’s willing to sell it.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

IMO, the Ford-based replicas off the most performance and handling options.  There’s a wide range of engine sizes, several transmissions (including 5 speeds), and a sizable and affordable aftermarket support for them.  

It wouldn’t be all that expensive to have a 150 HP, reliable 5-speed with more traditional weight/balance…
    Just a thought…
    Second to that would be the venerable VW, whose aftermarket support and light weight can make it a fun car in the Porsche vein…
    The Chevy-based kits have the weakest parts support, by far…
    Of course, you’re limited largely by what you can make fit in the limited space.  I’ve known of at least one Nissan Z-based replica…

KentT2014-01-17 01:52:10

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

The Nissan’s were made by Allison. The engine originally was the twin-plug 200SX mill, a 2-litre, DOHC number. I think those engines did 140 horsepower. Rear-wheel drive. 

Hard to find these days and not at all confident about the FI and electronics. Swapping in SUs would be the bomb, but you’d probably need quite a bit of fab to do that.
    Anyway, Nick: One of our members, Gabor, scratch-built his car last year. He made his own frame; absolutely cherry. He started with a front-engined body and you should know that those kits were generally 2-3 inches (correct me if I’m wrong, guys) wider than the typical VW rig. 
    The VW, in turn, was wider (at least in front track) than the original TD. I do believe that, if you’re starting with an MGB, either type of replica body could work.
    The B front track is 49 inches. 
    The Beetle is 51.4 inches (50.7 in the back)
    The TD was 47.2 inches in front (50 even in the back)
    ray10
    Participant

@ray10

Nick I do believe it came with the fenders ? also trying to find parts are really hard unless you by a spare. Just checked it sold.

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.