New Member Saying Hello

Home Forums Site Membership New Member Saying Hello

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

Greetings
    Have recently rediscovered group – great information.  I have a Fiberfab MiGi built on a 1974 VW chassis.  I built it about 25 years ago and it currently has over 100,000 miles.  When I was working in a Western Suburb of Chicago, it was my daily driver to work, Easter to Thanksgiving.  Today was the first day driving it for over a year.  Spent last summer rebuilding the engine, it is now 1776cc with Weber progressive carburetor.  By the time I got done winter hd arrived and didn’t get to drive last year.
    Al Greig

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Wow!!!!  Al, I think my MiGi is very pretty, but yours is Sophia Loren (I’m older) beautiful.  And while I like BRG a lot and think that white is the most sensible, every other sports car that I have ever owned has been “arrest me red”, –  like yours,   Welcome to the TDr forum.   Folks here will enjoy turning over every rock trying to find the answer to any questions that you may have.  And we love to get your new fresh ideas on stuff.   Hard to believe that your car is a daily driver with over 100k miles and not one of those showpieces that spends its life hermetically sealed until the next event.  Royal2012-05-06 06:37:27

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Very nice car. The chromies show well.

Congrats on your rebuild and being back on the road.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Welcome aboard Al.

Beautiful Car!

You are automatically one of the experts here!

“About 25 years?”  When? I built my Duchess in 1982.

Please add your info to the registry thread too (link is in my signature)

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

I started it in 1986, first registration with State of Illinois was in 1987.  Building took just a little over a year.  In 2001 I dissembled body, painted each piece Dodge Viper Red epoxy paint with clear coat and reassembled.  Painting was driven by small accident I had which slightly damaged left front fender.  Fender needed to be painted to cover fiberglass repair and then fender stood out from from rest of car even though color was a decent match.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

How do you like your 1776?
    What carbs are you running?
    Distributor?

I have a 1776 long block awaiting the top end and exhaust.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

From one Allen to another Welcome aboard. I’m in the process of building mine and hope to complete her in a year. Red Fiberfab with white interior.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Greetings, Al, and welcome to our madness! Very nice ride — especially those side curtains (custom-made?) and chromed wheels. How about some shots of the interior and the engine bay? I’m also running a Weber carb, and would be interested to see how yours is set up.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

Bill

The top and side curtains were made by a local Marine Upholstery shop – http://riggsbros.com/
    The original top lasted about 15 years, had this one made in 2001, they did a much nicer job than what was furnished.  Cost was not bad, about $600 if I remember correctly. 

Maybe some interior pictures this weekend.

Al

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

Some more pictures:

Interior

It may be difficult to see, but the engine compartment is separated top to bottom.  I used to be in 4th of July Parades, about 1 1/2 hours of moving at 1 mph in 90 degree weather and the engine would overheat, basically recirculating the hot air.  This mod solved the problem and results in a configuration much like stock VW.

Tonneau Cover

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I like that inset dash. Very cool.

Good job on the engine bay too. Most of us have not (yet) done the hard work of isolating the top of the engine from the exhaust. I would love to hear/see more detail about how you did that.

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Al, that is without a doubt the most beautiful TD dash I’ve ever seen. Did you do that yourself, or did it come with the kit? Just gorgeous, especially with the retro radio! Thumbs Up TexAg712012-05-12 14:00:49

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

Bill
    The dash came with the kit, I just stained and varnished it.  Gauges are Classic Instrument, the speedometer went bad about 10 years ago go, replaced all the instrument so they would match.  The retro radio is a recent addition, was only one I could find that would fit holes from the one that died.
    Al

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

Construction details of engine compartment seperation

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Nice looking car, glad you use it as much as you do.
    Where did you find those center wheel hub covers?
    They give a great look, better than the baby moons IMO.

I also made a firewall in front of my engine using a piece of galvalume roofing panel that I spray painted black after I was happy with it, screwed it to the fiberglass in a few places to hold it in position. My car no longer runs hot. I have no holes in it like you do, just solid except for an opening for the fuel line on the left side and a rounded opening around the trans where I just cut it out to fit.
    My engine came with the lower tin, but I’d like to seal it off around the body of the car and would also like to know where you got the fabric reinforced gasket material and how thick it is and how you put it in position.
    Again, nice looking car. Red is the best color for this and you did a great job with the paint.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Al,  I am unhappy with my TD radio.  It is newer but I can’t read the dial in sunlight.  I want one of the old fashioned retro types with a pointer that scrolls across the dial, on/off/volume on the left, tuning on the right and push buttons under the dial for 5 or so stations.   Plain Jane radio.   Looks like you may have it.  What make is yours, do you know where I could get one?  Thanks,

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

Center wheel hub covers – Don’t remember where I got them.
    Fabric reinforced gasket material – Is about 1/8″ thick, got material from neighbor you said it was converbelt material.  It is attached to the aluminum sheet with rubber cement and pop rivets.  The pop rivits have washers on the rubber side.
    Radio – Retro Classic RC – 900C Radio w/1968-85 VW / Mercedes / Porsche Black & Chrome Trim Euro face plate  – available from http://www.crutchfield.com but it has LCD display, no pointer.
    Al

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Roy…I just got an Ipod shuffle for my TDr ..yea it might be pushing the envelope on legality(ear phones and all) ..but I enjoy choosing my own music while I am cruising down the ocean  roads on the Island .. ie  HenryMancini “Two for the Road “.

plus an Ipod is  cheaper and less hassle.

jb
    Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

Center wheel hub covers – Know I didn’t get them at CIP1 but this looks a lot like it – .
    http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26-601-590

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Wow!  and over 100K!  Outstanding!   You have truly paid your dues in the world of TD replicas.

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

I can’t even hear my radio, especially with the top up. It works great at traffic stops or sitting in the parking lot though.

Al – did you glue the gasket material to the underside of the fiberglass deck to seal off the bottom completely, or just let it lay under there extending over the tin?
    mrlmd2012-05-13 12:15:48

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Al Greig wrote:
    Center wheel hub covers – Know I didn’t get them at CIP1 but this looks a lot like it – .
    http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26-601-590

That’s just what I’m looking for but those are 3 1/4″ diameter and the hub on my 4 spoke 15″ diam stock VW wheel is 3 1/8″ diam., so they are too large and wouldn’t fit.
    I guess I have to keep looking to see if anybody makes one that will fit our wheels.

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

I built an aluminum frame between and attached to the steel members that support the bumper, this frame also goes up the sides at the front (towards front of car, don’t know if that is front of engine) of engine and a piece goes across the front of the engine.  There is a removable aluminum frame at rear of engine so engine can be removed.  The rubber material is attached to this frame.  The fiberglass deck piece that fits between the 2 rear fenders sits on top of the aluminum frame. 

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

Center wheel hub covers – Web site says  6 different widths, but doesn’t specify dimensions
    http://www.mamotorworkstv.com/vw/product/chrome-wheel-cap-for-4-lug-spoke-steel-wheel-each_313458/

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

I found that too doing a Google search and sent them an email and will call them tomorrow to see if they have the correct size.
    There’s another site here I have to call also – http://www.jbugs.com/product/10-1062.html
    Thanks.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.