New Member with a 1982 London Roadster

Home Forums Site Membership New Member with a 1982 London Roadster

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Richard –

Good morning..Yes I have the steel tube chassis too..I would be interested in knowing if you ever replaced your coil over shock?. My London roadster was built in’86 and sold by a chevy dealership in richmond Va.
    thanks.

jebarry2014-06-11 13:31:25

Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

I’m attaching some marketing photos (postcards) that I have not seen elsewhere. Included is the photo of the raw steel frame, of which my Roadster does not have. Mine is definitely the VW frame. I have not seen these photos elsewhere, perhaps they are of some value.

I also have a general maintenance manual (PDF) that I cannot upload here (size restriction). I’m happy to contribute it to the collective knowledge about replicas. Who I should contact about that one?

Stephen

Buxton, Maine
    1982 London Roadster - "Kit Kat"

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Four wheel disk brakes and coil springs all around. Put sway bars on it and you can out Porsche the Speedster replicas with that chassis. That is pretty.

Are the front and rear suspension purpose built or are they sourced from another car?

PCKing
    Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

As for purpose built, don’t know, I don’t have that frame, just the photo to drool over.

Stephen

Buxton, Maine

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Stephen…you can send me the PDF of the manual. pmossberg at verizon.net

BDriver…I agree…you’ll out Porsche VW pan based Speedsters/Spyders/Roadsters. But not all of them. Intermeccanica chassis are 5″ x 3″ box steel. IM out Porsches the LR chassis…and out Porsches original Porsches. 😉

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

Steven, The picture of the frame is the one that I have.

John, Never changed the front coil over’s or the rear shocks. The rear shocks need replacing and I will have to figure out what to use. It may be possible to put the coil over springs on a new shock to keep the same strength spring as there isn’t much weight in the frontend and to keep the ride height the same

Dick

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Dick 

thxz. let  me know what  when and if you change them out! 
    john
    Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

First time out of the garage in about 10 years. My daughter says we should name her “Kit Cat”. Motor not yet installed, front right brake is shot, and the tires need replacing. Nice to look at in the Sunshine though.

Buxton, Maine

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Dick,

A good parts shop should be able to cross reference the shocks.

MacPherson struts are one piece units. You change the spring, shock and upper control arm together. Compressing the spring is scary. That’s not a coil over shock.

On coil overs the shock absorbers are separate from the springs. The car sits on the springs while the shocks drop out of the bottom when you remove the top and bottom bolts. It’s an easy job once you loosen up the nuts.

Consider changing the fronts when you change the rears. The fronts seem OK because the rears are bouncing. Once you stiffen up the rears the fronts will bounce. They are worn too. Separate shocks are inexpensive. Do all of them.

I envy you that chassis. You have a Porsche chassis under that pretty MG body. Four wheel disk brakes too. Wow.

Is there a plaque on the dashboard with the name Stevenson on it? That has come up on another London Roadster. We’re trying to figure out what it means.

BDriver

Russell Rowe
    Participant

@budrowe

I have a London Roadster. Is there any way to tell where the car was made? My DMV having a problem determining whether it is a kit car or a replica.

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

When I bought my London Roadster it came with information that said it was built in Inkster Michigan on Michigan ave . I looked up the address . There appears to be a storage area there now . I have contacted history groups including ford . Very little information. Lots of luck!                     

Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

DMV in Maine calls it a replica, because it was manufactured and has its own VIN number. I can send you a copy of the “general service and maintenance schedule” from mine which might help your cause. It clearly shows the manufacturer as London Motors Corporation.

Buxton, Maine

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.