new to replica , adjustment made

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits new to replica , adjustment made

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rex
    Participant

@rexlucy

Hj, new to forum and 52 mg replica on 70 vw frame. i am larger than whoever put this together so i had to move steering wheel forward 4 inches and remount the seat. still not  happy with seat i purchased some aftermarket seats using seat width,however these were square based  and now won’t slide back far enough without hitting the curve at rear tunnel. any opinions on cutting the tunnel curve out. i could fabricate it back square but i wondering if it affect the frame strength.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Paul Mossberg.
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Rex,

My response is based on instinct, with no science involved.

The curved sections you are talking about modifying flare out into the arms that support the transaxle and engine.

I would be very hesitant to cut much out of it, even if you are welding in replacement steel.

A picture being worth a thousand words, you can see how it all ties together in one flow…:

If you decide to proceed, be careful when cutting. There are several tubes inside the tunnel for heat/defrost/hand-brake & clutch cables and the fuel line; and the shift rod.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Paul is right on.  Unfortunately, new seats is the way to go.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

My confidence is always given a huge boost when Roy agrees with me!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

x3. do not cut there.

Look for ways to trim the bottom inside of the seat instead. With a little luck, you’ll fit.

rex
    Participant

@rexlucy

well, after much thought i had no way to fit the seats without making a cut out, only cut two  x nine inches.  put a plate across the tunnel and welded everything in. seat  will now slide all the way back and set at  [correct height.] i don’t think tunnel integrity  will be lost. as soon a i learn to post photos i will.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

These are the instructions Ed posted for photos. They work.

First you go to your own thing. Upper right corner it should say something like “Howdy, Happy Jack.” Click on that and you get a drop-down menu. At the bottom it says “media.” Hover over that with your curser and you should see another drop-down menu with “albums,” “photos” “videos.” Click on “photos.”
    That should bring you to a new page. If you have previously uploaded pictures, you will see some of them. Under “All Photos” near the top left of the page you will see “options” and “upload.”
    Click on “upload.”
    That opens another drop down box. You can actually drag and drop pictures into this from a folder on your computer screen, or you can navigate to the folder on your computer with the pics. Double click on them and the upload begins. You should see them appear in your photo album.
    To get one into a post you have to click on it.
    It should open up big. Then RIGHT-click on it, and you should see a box open up on it with options like “copy,” “save image as,” etc. Click on “copy image address.”
    Now close the pic and find your way back to the post you want to put this photo in. (I often use two browser windows for this, keeping the “new post” box open in a separate tab or window).
    (Hang on, we’re getting close now)</span></span></span>
    Above the window where you want to make the picture go, there’s a line of little symbols. The second from the left is like a jagged little mountain with a little moon over it. That’s your “insert pic” button. Click it.
    That opens a new box with a prompt that says “Source.” PASTE (control or command V) the “image address” you copied about six steps ago. Then press OK.
    The photo should appear now as if by high-tech magic. So simple even a computer science Ph.D. could do it, sometimes, maybe, if he’d had enough Red B

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

rex
    Participant

@rexlucy

rex
    Participant

@rexlucy

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Not a VW based owner, but such a minor cut should not produce any problems. It looks to be welded up nice and tight. Seats look comfy. Very good.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.