NJ State inspection rejection for rear reflector

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits NJ State inspection rejection for rear reflector

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Joseph E. Monesmith
    Participant

@joemoe65

One week ago I had my CMC MGTD inspected in New Jersey.  They refused to discuss the results with one exception, explaining that I would hear from their Trenton office. 

One inspector did say that the Lucky tail light lenses didn’t provide the required reflector capability and I would have to add rear reflectors.  The tail light lenses I currently have only have one screw at the top and a bottom tab.  They identify the following molded information:  LKY 213 TAIWAN, SAE ST 69, LUCKY.  NJAC Title 13:20-33.13(c) requires that DOT A or DOT B be displayed to comply.  I discussed this with John at MG Magic and he isn’t aware of an updated tail/break light replacement. 

Does anyone have guidance for me based on their experience?  Thanks much.
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I found a pair of these at Carlisle years ago. My original lens’ had turned pink.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=115610

These have retained their color with no fade. Also, being a factory lens, reflector should not be an issue.
    PMOSSBERG2015-06-22 08:38:24

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Where I live in Western NY There seems to be a lot of buzz as to where to get your antique car inspected . Some places let things pass where others don’t . If I took my LR to a Chevy or Ford dealership there would be lots of problems . If I went to the corner repair shop it would pass . The problem would be if you are in the system as a failed inspection . It won’t go away until you fix it . I’ve always found it interesting that some states there are no safety inspection where others stick it to you . It’s all about the money   

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

How true that is! If it were about safety we’d never be allowed on the road.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

You might consider adding separate reflectors.
    That would be a pretty typical “period correct” addition.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

In VA I pay 59.00 for life time vintage tags with no motor vehicle inspection required. Sure you don’t have an option like that for cars over 25 years old only driven once in a while?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Schu…

Kit cars are not eligible for antique plates in NJ.

NJ has a “collector car” class for vehicles that are not yet antiques but are driven less than 3,000 mils per year. Collector car vehicles are only subject to a lights/wipers/horn inspection. When the collector class was intoduced (about twenty years ago) kit cars were eligible. About ten years ago they amended the law so kits are no longer eligible for the collector car class.

PMOSSBERG2015-06-23 09:24:28

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Joseph E. Monesmith
    Participant

@joemoe65

Thanks to everyone for your comments.  I just went to my local Advanced Auto and bought the smallest red reflectors that had DOT A embossed on them (1″ X3″) and placed them above the tail lights and outside the fender center seam.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

And after you get the car inspected, you can remove them. 😀

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.