Odometer

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Odometer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

At least 15 years ago the Odometer in my VDO speedometer head ceased to function. Everyone I spoke to about it told me the unit that held the mileage wheels had to be rebuilt. I held off as I found that I could manually advance the mileage by turning the trip reset knob. I could remove the knob and put a drill chuck on the shaft and “take a trip”. Since this winter has grounded all MG activity, I broke down, removed the speedometer and took it to a speedometer shop. They told me it would be a minimum of $150 and only if they could find parts. I declined and figured I could put a new one in for close to that. Once home I decided I had nothing to lose by taking the damn thing apart on my own and see what’s up. This is what I found.

Notice the upper jack-shaft right side worm gear doesn’t mesh with its intended side gear.

I gave it a push to engage it and found that the mount for the shaft is slotted and secured by the upper screw next to the cast #”3″ on the upper housing. I simply had to tighten it.

This is the destroyed bezel from the speedo. (If I thought I was going to reuse it I would have taken greater care in its removal.), Lens and inner trim ring. VDO sells replacement bezels.

The replacement bezel is a snap fit.

The lens and inner trim ring snap into position.

The snap on installation of the bezel to the housing was difficult, but it went. Not quite sure if this was meant for such an old speedo head, but it went on. The trip meter shows “000.0”.

This is the first time in years that the Tripmeter has shown numbers out of sequence like this.

The final snag. The bezels don’t match. I ordered another one to put on the tachometer so at least the two large instruments will match.

I’m looking forward to see just how many miles I really do put on in a year. Carlisle, VA Beach, etc.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Nice, and you saved 150.00, well minus your time and the bezels.  I wonder if the speedo shop knew that’s all it needed, but really didn’t want to mess with it.  I know a mechanic like that, if it’s something he doesn’t want to mess with he will quote a higher price to avoid it.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I see about $150 of time in this, for a mechanic at least.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.