Painting my Dutchess

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Painting my Dutchess

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

I need to re paint my Dutchess MGTD, that I built in 1985. My question is how do I paint the tan webbing which is between the assembled parts? Do I just paint over it, and if so will the paint crack when dried? Or do I need to tape it off so it does not get paint on it. I am spray painting the car with a dark green Fiberglass Boat Paint .

I also need to replace the front and rear bumpers, and the over riders. MG Magic wants more then $150, is there another resource? I also need a good resource for steel wire hub caps.

Thanks for y alls help, and Paul, how can I send you some money for next years site fees?

Dave Roy
    Lakeland, Florida

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Dave,

Sent you a PM re donations.

You are correct. If you paint over the vinyl welting, the paint will crack. I’d tape it off as best you can.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Thanks Paul, tapping the little webbing wil be a challenge   

Dave

Dave

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Blue painter’s tape comes in different widths. The grip isn’t as tenacious as that of masking tape and doesn’t leave a residue. It pulls off with a clean edge. Applying it might not be so bad if you press down the middle of the tape along the welting and then use a thin piece of plastic to tuck in the edges.  

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

If the car needs repainting then chances are the welting needs replacing. Disassemble it and you’ll be much happier with the end result.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

You can always loosen the bolts between the fenders and body just a bit and remove the welting.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

That’s a nice thought Allen. But it’s a Duchess. It’s not just loosening the fenders.

There is welting between:
    • fenders and body
    • running boards and body
    • front side panels (think of engine side covers) and rear side panels
    • cowl and side panels
    • rear body piece and rear side panels
    • grill shell and front side panels
    • filler panel in front of grill, between the front fenders and the fenders
    • and I think I’m missing some.
    It gets worse….out of all the above, if the car was assembled per the factory manual, it’s only the fenders that are bolted on. The vast majority of the body is riveted together. You can’t just “loosen it.”

And of course there are rubber pieces betwen the running boards and the front and rear fenders.

I do agree the best way to repaint is to disassemble the body. That’s basically a complete rebuuld.

PMOSSBERG2014-10-09 10:16:37

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Ah! I stand corrected. Would have been easier if you could loosen the fenders and running boards and ease the welting out like on a Fiberfab. Bummer. But I to agree that if you’re going to repaint do it the right way. Disassemble, clean, repair, paint and reassemble.

Allen Caron

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

I remember asking that question years ago – did not like the answer but Allen is right – only way to do it.

Hated it then but the end product will really make you happy later.
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

This thread highlights another major difference between manufacturers…how is the body molded? 

The Duchess’ body is made up of 18 pieces, most of which have welting between them.

Dave, it’s a big job to disassemble for paint. But as others have said, it’s the best way to do it. Sadly, it means more than just taking the body apart. You’ll be breaking down the entire car, including trim, electrical and interior. On the upside, the complete VW Duchess Assembly Manual is available in our Download Manuals section (bottom of page, after you click through the disclaimer page). With the manual and our members, you won’t be doing this in the dark. And when all is said and done, you will know your car inside and out.

For anyone curious…the Duchess body parts are: 

• Doors (2)
    • Front side panels (2)
    • Rear side panels (2)
    • Running boards (2)
    • Fenders (4)
    • Rear tie in (1)
    • Cowl (1)
    • Hood (1)
    • Front tie in (1)
    • Rear subframe cover (1)
    • Engine cover (1)

PMOSSBERG2014-10-09 18:30:24

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

And duh, I just realized Dave said in the first line of the first post that he built his car himself. He knew all this already. Ermm

Paul Mossberg

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Not to ruin everyone’s opinion making Dave work (like you-all, I think he should do as much work as we can make him do–or more, even!).

But is there not a paint additive to allow for flexibility over plastic or rubberized parts?
    And would it not be a little bit easier to just throw a half pint or whatever of that additive into the whole mix & shoot it?
    I have to ask because, on my car, the welting was sprayed. And while the paint job is not the most perfect, the paint has stayed on the welting, no prob.
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Yes, a flex additive . Used to paint the flex bumpers now found on all new cars.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Good points Ed & Bill! Never thought of that.

But…just one humble opinion…the welting really shouldn’t be painted.

Paul Mossberg

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Every one’s opinion is sincerely appreciated. At a major car show today in Lakeland, Fl, there was an original MG that was REPAINTED during a major restoration in 2007. The owner ( a doctor) is a “Classic MG purist” and he had his body webbing painted and he has had no cracking paint on the webbing. I will follow several suggestions, and tape off the webbing. To disassemble HERBIE, I would have to drill out over 100 rivets that are 3/16 inches, placed every 10 inches, besides unfastening, rusted 5/16 inch bolts as well. So I am giving serious thought to usuing a foam roller and foam brush to repaint. The one part polyurethane fiberglass boat paint is “self leavening”. It dries as a very hard, high gloss paint, after two coats. So yes gentlemen, I do have a challenge ahead of me. In my original test drive of my MGTD Dutchess, I ran the car on a straight road, up to 70 mph. Yes Herbiie was originally over built, so now I am very comfortable and confident, that my car will not fall apart at my normal preferred driving speed of 45 to 50 mph. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will post pictures of the body off restoration. I have so far have had the VW frame sandblasted to bare shinny metal, and replaced all brake lines all new wheel bearings, as well

Dave

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

I have also replaced the VW floor pan, fiber glassed all rust holes, and spray painted three coats of high gloss black Rustoleum paint. I have also replaced the shifter rod plastic bearing, and new Yoke at the transmission. I put on new shocks as well, and now my wife has given me a budget that I can spend each month!! At least she supports my restoration……. LOL!

Dave

Dave

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hey great progress.

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Thanks Ed, now that I am retired, I can focus on my restoration. Time and money, is really what a restoration is all about. I hope this current picture of Herbie in his raised off chassis condition comes through. Yes I gotta a lotta of worka to do. Every one’s comment can help me to “get her done” please keep y alls suggestions forth coming
    davearoy2014-10-18 23:57:48

Dave

Ricky
    Participant

@mymgtd

Davearoy,

Sound like we are on the same path.  I also put new floor pans, new brake line and brakes, cables, and now i am waiting on some new stock wheels.  Please post pictures when you get your painted.  I would like to paint mine also.   Not sure what you did for the pans but I sprayed mine with bed liner called Raptor. Great stuff and give it texture.

I am in the Bradenton area.  Let me know if you are close by
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Ricky
    I tried to post a photo of my favorite TD paint scheme but it won’t send. Error 500 I get each time. But think of a black and white TD with black fenders, engine cover and hood with the rest of the body painted gold. Description doesn’t do the photo I have any justice.

newkitman2014-12-02 14:13:17

Allen Caron

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Ray  that is my  favorite color scheme 

sweet 

perfect ! Thumbs Up
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Here’s my favorite paint scheme.

Allen Caron

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I have used this clay bar from Home Depot that shapes to anything . I use it in tight places when painting . Cover the cord, paint and peel it off

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

John the black and white is what one of our TD is .Haven’t had time to work on the other one yet!!!

Allen I like that one to, here’s another option ?

ray102014-12-04 00:24:52

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.