Parting with my MG TD replica

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Parting with my MG TD replica

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    John McDermon
    Participant

@hawk521

First thing I should say is that I got a lot of help on this site while building my car.  For that I humbly thank you all.  Even reading the old discussions was often enlightening, but most of all encouraging.

Sadly, my wife and I have agreed that I can’t have so many toys. 

I built this MG TD between 2008-2009.  And yet there are several components I purchased that never made it onto the car.  A brand new TOP and SIDE CURTAINS is the biggest example.  Just never was confident enough to start drilling holes in the body to attach the snaps. 

Anyway, I just posted an ad on this site.  And placed a craigslist ad

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/5106370691.html

It’d be a great deal for someone capable of tidying up my start on this car.  It is registered in NC with a clean title.  Has appeared in 6 Christmas parades locally.  We just don’t venture out in it often enough to justify keeping it.  Have put under 1,800 miles on it since it was completed in 2009.  It always sits indoors.  Never been rained on.

Call John at 336 407-5069 if interested. 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Good looking car John.

Sorry to see you go, but I wish you good luck with the sale!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

John McDermon
    Participant

@hawk521

Hey
    Paul,

When I think back 6 years I realize that I have truely enjoyed this car.  And I realize now that I spent more hours working on it than I ever did driving it.  So most of my enjoyment has been building the car! 

She is fun to drive.  But the wife says that if I want a toy vehicle it needs to be a bit more practical for longer trips that she wants to take.  One where we don’t have to worry about weather so much.  I’m thinking a 2000ish BMW Z3 (or better yet an M) Roadster.  Time will tell if that happens.

I just wanted you guys to know that although some of us don’t post a lot on the board (reluctant to show our ignorance maybe), that the information out here has been most helpful over the years.

And I can’t go without mentioning Mr. Rick Drake (rdchevette@gmail.com) who helped me with so many Chevette questions and assorted bits and pieces that I’d never have gotten the car running nearly so well without his help.

John

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Nice car and a nice project to complete! Hope the automatic tranny doesn’t discourage would-be buyers! Good luck on the sale!

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Good deal for that one, less than $900 I paid for my VW version. You have more going for it than mine such as wire wheels, automatic and much newer stuff.

John McDermon
    Participant

@hawk521

Responses on my Craigslist ad have been slower than I had hoped.  

I got a PayPal purchase scam offer within hours of posting it – from a guy who claimed he was off-shore as a marine biologist and wanted to buy it sight unseen for his son.  His plan was to PayPal me more than I was asking so that I could pay cash to his “agent” when she picked up the car.   Just Google PayPal Craigslist scam and you’ll find the many ways they work.  I offered that he should PayPal the funds to his trusted ‘agent’ and have her bring cash to pick up the car.  Even offered to meet her at Town Hall so we could get the title transfered.  He got a bit testy with me at the end when I wouldn’t bite on his terms.

Also got a “cash now” offer of 2000.  Heck, I’d buy it again for 2000.  Had to reply with no thanks.
    If it sells it sells.  If not I’ll wait a while and sell.  
    Building it was the most fun I’ve had in a long time.  Not sure I’d be up to building another though.  🙂
    Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Hawk521 wrote:
    I got a PayPal purchase scam offer within hours of posting it – from a guy who claimed he was off-shore as a marine biologist and wanted to buy it sight unseen for his son.
    Wow, that story is just like the one I had when selling my bass boat on craigslist. And there’s also the “help to sell” people.
    😡
    Give it as much time as you can. I probably paid more than I should have because the seller had an ebay reserve of $800 less than I bid up to. Got to be more people like me out there.
    😆

LRH2015-07-20 23:49:51

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

My son just got hit by the same scam. He is trying to sell his V-Max and got offered $3000 more than he was asking…”Just give the 3K to the “shipper”” He didn’t want to believe it was a scam. Till the bank wouldn’t touch the check he was sent. Pissed not taking it well. But he wont let me file with the FBI.
    The FBI  has an online page to report these guys.

No trees were injured in the making of this message, but some electrons were inconvenienced.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Expensive lesson. These scams are ubiquitous.

John McDermon
    Participant

@hawk521

Just wanted to share that I did successfully sell my MG TD Chevette to a local young guy.  He’s a bit of a tinkerer and I’m hoping he enjoys working on it as much as I have.   I made him a deal at $4,000.  Including a brand new top and like-new tonneau cover that have never been installed.

I then spent a week searching the internet for my next toy.  Found, travelled 236 miles, and bought a 2002 BMW Z3 3.0i Roadster with only 23,331 miles on it.  The car has mostly lived indoors and looks and drives like brand new.  I am one lucky guy.  Now all that I’ve got to come to terms with is the cost of owning a BMW!!!  Two dealer supplied replacement key w/remotes cost me $440…!  Ouch.  Oil change and a set of front brake pads – $272.  Double Ouch.   Looks like I’m destined to have a DIY BMW…

The one shining grace is that now my wife and I will feel at ease about taking long excursions with the new car.

-Hawk521

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Congrats, Hawk! I always liked the Z3. Pretty car, well-balanced and not over-powered like the Z4. A true sportscar. Enjoy!

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

Have fun!! BMW=Bring My Wallet

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Nice choice!

Enjoy the ride!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.