Pinto engine size

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Pinto engine size

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ssimgtd
    Participant

@ssimgtd

I have a ’52 MG TD roadster rep with a Ford Pinto engine in it.  What are the clues to engine size on the engine?

Many Thanks

Jennifer Williams

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Jennifer,

Here is the web site for the Ford Pinto Car Club of America.

http://www.fordpinto.com/smf/index.php

If you don’t find the info from the TD fans on this site, I bet the Pinto fans can help!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Hi Jennifer,

I also have a pinto engine in my MG. Mine is a 2.3 liter, I bet yours is too!

If you know what year of pinto the engine came from you could try a chiltons manual from the auto part store too.

Good Luck

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Jennifer:

Most likely it’s a 2.3 Liter. The web sites for the Pinto and Mustang II gang will give you some guidance to make sure.

Once you’re sure, check Amazon for a manual. (I prefer Haynes manuals,  much more detailed, IMO)

Also check out sites listed under the search for 2.3 Liter Ford such as Racer Walsh and Esslinger, for aftermarket performance mods if you’re interested in such things.  These engines are used even now for sprint and some drag boat racers, so parts are available from basic to upgrades.

Ringo

ssimgtd
    Participant

@ssimgtd

Not getting much joy from the Pinto site, signed up but they still haven’t approved me yet!  (Wonder what I did to offend them?!?)

Will try the others you suggested, Ringo. Not that interested in performance unless it involves reducing gas consumption, up here in Canada it’s EXPENSIVE compared to you over the Line.

Will follow up

TTFN Jennifer

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Jennifer:

Checked my manuals and the quickest way to tell size on the Pinto (Lima) engine is by the oil filler cap.  On the 2.0 L it’s at the front of the engine, on the 2.3 L it’s at the back of the valve cover.  (closest to the driver).  There’s other ways but this is the most obvious.

Sorry I  didn’t check these sooner.  Hope it helps.

Ringo

ssimgtd
    Participant

@ssimgtd

Well I’m blowed, looks like I’ve got a 2.3!!!!

Thanks X 1,000,00 Ringo!!

TTFN Jennifer

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Jennifer:

Good news, since those engines appeared in vehicles up to the 90s. They appeared in everything from Mustangs to Rangers to Aerostars. Most replacement parts are easily available at any auto part chain stores. They run well and are almost bullet proof. Almost any shop worth it’s salt has working knowledge of them so it’s not such a chore to find a mechanic.

Ringo

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.