Pinto MGTD

Home Forums General Discussion Pinto MGTD

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Leo
    Participant

@ldj1002

I had a Allison MGTD but sold it. I am now going to look at a MGTD with pinto engine.  According to VIN I think it is a Fiber  Fab. How are these compared to the Allison on VW pan? What bothers me is in my search is this car would have had the frame built. Someone would have to be really good or I think there would be problems. With a VW pan I wouldn’t have to worry about how someone built a frame. Assuming it was built right how does these perform?

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

The frame under my FiberFab Ford TDr is massive in comparison to what sits on it. It’s box channels with steel supports for the cowl and rear apron. The weakest link would be in FiberFabs idea of rear suspension. Eliminate the cut up leaf springs and build a multi link with coil overs and a panhard rod.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Leo
    Participant

@ldj1002

Thanks Bill

Being 77 years old and my hot rod days are long gone would that Fiber Fab rear end be OK

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

At the very least, install a panhard rod to prevent the springs from breaking.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Leo
    Participant

@ldj1002

At the very least, install a panhard rod to prevent the springs from breaking.

Could you explain or send me a link about this panhard rod on this car.

Leo

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

A panhard rod is a strut or brace you mount to the frame on one side of the car and to the rear on the opposite side. This keeps he body centered over the axle preventing side to side stress on he suspension.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_rod

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

clifford barbeau
    Participant

@cliff

you state you had an allison, well i have one and she is a looker but i have no owners manual part or build manuals nothing!! by any chance would you have anything or can you point me in the right direction in obtaining anything manuals jacks tool kit. Or do you have any spare part.

Leo
    Participant

@ldj1002

I never had or was I ever able to find any manuals. I think I have the chrome Allison script. I did have a copy (picture of the fuse panel) With them all labeled but they weren’t the same as mine. My wiring was never hacked so I don’t know the difference, maybe just changes the factory made

clifford barbeau
    Participant

@cliff

Thanks anyway!! there has to be someone or something out there???….Please let me know if you hear of anything or find a good contact. I am willing to pay good$$$$ for any manuals, build sheets, parts, tool kit jack. If they are original Thanks Cliff

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.