Rear View Camera

Home Forums General Discussion Rear View Camera

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Has anyone thought of adding a rear view camera in their TDr? I would think the back-up camera would work fine. Just connect it to a power wire rather than to the back-up light wire. I already have a 1 DIN and 2 DIN radio with 7 inch screen. Just a thought.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I added one to my truck. I have it on a toggle switch so I can keep an eye on the MG while she’s being towed.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

When I learned to drive; back in the 1970’s, we were taught to turn  1/2 around in the seat and look over your right shoulder while backing. I have done it this way ever since.

When I learned to drive a school bus, we were taught how to back using the mirrors. It is a little trickier than the over the shoulder method but works for larger vehicles.

Now I find myself unconsciously switching between the two.

Earlier this year I rented a car that had a rear view backing camera and found it EXTREMELY distracting. I have though talked to people who have rear view backing cameras and the say they’re a great help.

IMHO, I admit having one on a bus WOULD help, on a smaller car it’s gilding the lily.

Just my $.02 worth…

Amor Conquista Todo

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Scubasteve. I use your method for all vehicles except my Silverado. I use all, over the shoulder, mirrors but trust the rear view camera for what’s just behind the truck bed where I can’t see.

Allen Caron

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Only thought about it because my still new car has one and it has been useful in parking lots or backing up close to things. But that’s with a car that doesn’t have much of a view out the back, I don’t have any trouble seeing behind the little MGTDr. Hmm, wait, maybe I should rethink that. I backed my tailpipes into something the first day I had it.

I know someone who was using the backup camera of a new car (not mine) and backed into a closed garage door trying to leave the house. needless to say (yet I say it here) there’s some learning involved, you can’t just use the camera alone. Just like mirrors.

I get the “distraction” thing, since it’s like a big lit up mirror in the middle of the dash, so for nighttime it really takes some getting used to.

Almost useless in rain, especially at night, but still helpful for seeing if anything/anyone is right behind the car. Otherwise it can be better to just look over the shoulders, and that’s the important thing about trying to get comfortable with my backup camera. I had to relearn to not forget to do that enough to keep careful. The camera is only another way to look around, together with the other two ways.

Got to ask… why not power via reverse light/transmission switch? Noticed you were telling about powering it from another source. I think I would be watching the backward view too much if mine was able to be on all the time.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Sounds like Allen is looking for full time rear view camera in lieu of mirrors, not just for “backing up.”

Allen, I’ve been driving my TDr since 1983 with convex fender mounted mirrors and the dash mounted mirror. I’ve never had a problem seeing behind me. And don’t recall any “close calls” because I could not see a vehicle to the rear or side.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Almost correct Paul. But not in-lieu of rather in addition to. But I’ve tabled that thought for the time being. Knowing me, I could get to engrossed in paying attention to the rearview camera on the screen and not pay attention to my driving.

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I think that’s a wise decision Allen.

Git ‘er done, driver her a bit, then decide if you need additional rear-vision.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Obrien
    Participant

@rabien73

Bump. Any update? Have you decided to install a rear view camera?

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

No update. Decided to worry about that after I get the car on the road. Perhaps I’ll consider it sometime next year. Once I drive her around I’ll know if I really want to go that route.

Allen Caron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.