Rear Wheel Bearing Seal Replacement

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Rear Wheel Bearing Seal Replacement

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Toller
    Participant

@toller

I found the brake backing plate on left rear wet with oil when I was installing new wheels/tires. Thought it was a leaking brake cylinder but when I pulled the drum found source of leak was around the axel shaft. Install of new seal and o-rings seemed to be straightforward. But have encountered two issues, when cleaning the seal cover found a “rubber” like plug in the seep hole in the seal cover. There is no mention in Muir, Bentley, or Haynes about a rubber plug in the cover. Does anyone have any advice about the need for a rubber plug? Second question, there were two paper gaskets that were included I the seal kit, are they both to be used? Bentley only shows one being used and I only scraped one off the cover and brake backing plate. Can’t believe that they would include a spare gasket in the replacement kit. Toller2016-05-15 20:09:37

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

I used rtv when I did mine instead of the gasket. the 2nd gasket goes behind the backing plate. there where no plugs when I took mine apart. I like the Bentley manual the most very thorough.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.