Refresh "Sammy" Black BCW

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Refresh "Sammy" Black BCW

This topic contains 30 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  happyjack 3 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author

edsnova
    Participant

@edsnova

Ric, re oil hoses: you can use regular clamps but most people go with more expensive and better stuff—AN 8 or AN 10 fittings, say. Oil pressure above 80 lbs on startup, and a heat cycle on the hoses that’s worse than your coolant system, means you should get short lengths of heavy-duty neoprene hoses designed for use with hot oil, and preferably braided for abrasion protection and burst strength.

Maybe Billinparts will pipe in with some real knowledge as he just plumbed a new oil cooler in his V8 swap.

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Installed remote oil filter and adapter for lines from old filter location.  After addressing several clearance issues, I finally got everything to clear exhaust and engine.  Used swivel 10AN fittings and aeroquip 5/8 hose.  Mounted new oil pressure sending unit.  MGTDR came with an oil warning light.  I don’t have the old engine anymore, but I believe the wire from the warning light went to an oil pressure sending unit.  Is that correct?  And can I connect the wire from my new sending unit to an oil pressure gauge and the warning light?  Or is there a special sending unit for a warning light?

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    1952 MGTD Volvo engine (for sale)

edsnova
    Participant

@edsnova

Good on ya Ric.

And a good question. I think the oil light has its own sending unit which is pretty much universal, and gauges have their own which have to match the gauge. But someone else might have the for-sure answer.

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Checked internet.  Different sending unit for warning light.  So no more warning light since I have a gauge.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    1952 MGTD Volvo engine (for sale)

royal
    Participant

@royal

Hey Ric, if you really want a low oil press light, you can install a T in the line and have both a pressure gauge and a light.  The “sending unit” for the light is simply a pressure switch that is closed on low oil pressure.  The light is wired hot and the switch provides the ground when sufficient oil pressure is not available.  ……at least that is the way mine was hooked up.  As I recall (and I’m old and my memory fading) the switch activated at about 7# pressure.  I really prefer the gauge.

happyjack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Kall, et. al. — really good point on rotating the electrical panel 180 degrees so that the terminal strip and wires will not interfere with changing the fuses….

…I made some changes to the layout and will post pics under my Ford TDr build post — (don’t want to hijack the “refresh Sammy” post ……)

Thanks,

Happy Jack

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar