Relocate pedals

Home Forums General Discussion Relocate pedals

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

On my BCW Chevette the pedals seems to be mounted very low.  Can they be mounted higher and has anyone done so?  I found the CMC assembly manuals, but no BCW manuals.  Is the CMC construction close to the BCW construction for Chevette based cars?  Thanks.
    edsnova2015-02-08 19:25:51

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Ric, I edited your post to change BCM to BCW. I wish I could help. I have a BCW assembly manual but it’s for my VW-based kit. The pedals are nothing like yours. I and others have tried reaching out to the Fussenegger family in Arnold, PA. They made these cars, but the British Coach Works marque is long-gone. One of the sons runs a company called Smoothline now. No one from there has ever answered my emails about the BCW legacy or, to my knowledge, anyone else’s.

The Chevette kits are probably the second rarest, after the 200SX-based version Allison reportedly made. Those are hen’s teeth.
    Making the pedals fit in any front-engine TDr seems to be a bother. Big-footed guys have bent the pedals, changed the mounting and even channeled the transmission hump to find more room. The manual for this is non-existent. Or, rather, it’s scattered about this web site, where most of these efforts were documented. 
    You might get a little inspiration from a search.
    ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Thanks for changing the post.  I looked at the pedal assembly today.  It looks like I could shorten the pedals by cutting and re-welding.  I would also rather have a normal gas pedal.  Do you know of anyone who has put a floor mounted gas pedal?

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Cut and weld. That sounds like the way to go. 

What gas pedal is in it now?

FYI the TD had a roller on the end of a metal rod that hung from above. The wheel was pretty tight against the tunnel, and the factory had a leather patch there to keep the rug from wearing too much.
    The TD clutch and brake pedals were bottom-hinged. Ther’s a pic here on my blog from when I did my pedals. (the roller is smaller now cuz I’m crazy like that)

edsnova2015-02-08 20:08:11

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Just reviewing posts and realized I never responded.  I have a hanging pedal with a decent sized pad.  All the pedals appear to be too close to the floor.  I push the pedals about mid-foot and it seems like I am pushing down instead of forward.  I wonder if I could install a dropped floor to increase the space?  By the way, Merritt Island is great.

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.