Roof Attachment and Tension Straps

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Roof Attachment and Tension Straps

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Several list members asked me to post pictures of the front attachment and tension straps for the roof on my Classic Roadsters Duchess.

Front Roof Lip shows the leading edge, pulled out of the frame. There is a tube sewn into the leading edge of the roof and a thin bar is slid into that tube. That slips into the slot along the top of the windshield frame. There are also two small tabs sewn into the roof that go into the slots along the side of the frame.

Corner Installed shows the roof installed. I addded the snap at the top edge for additional support to a high stress area.

There are two tension straps that link the rear and front roof support bars. They are basically seatbelt webbing with one loop sewn into the rear of each strap. That loop goes around the rear roof bar. The front of the straps have velcro sewn onto them. You simply loop the front of the strap around the front roof bar and stick the velcro together. The straps should be long enough to loosen them and still attach the loose end to the velcro. This gives you enough play in the roof to easily remove it from the windshield frame, yet keep the bars from falling as you do so. The pink rubber band marks the sewn loop attached to the rear bar.

When you raise the roof, insert the roof into the windshield and simply tighten the tension straps to stretch the roof out. The pink rubber band shows where the front end of the strap is when pulled tight.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The topic ‘Roof Attachment and Tension Straps’ is closed to new replies.