Seat Cushion Straps Source

Home Forums General Discussion Seat Cushion Straps Source

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

About complete with the seat cushions for Moneypenny. I have everything done EXCEPT the straps on the underside of the seat wood that help in eliminating the “Tired Butt Syndrome” (TBS). Ha! Gives new meaning to the TBS TV station. But I digress. I’m having trouble locating a store that sells the straps. If anyone that has done this seat mod can head me in the right direction that’d be great. Thanks.

newkitman2015-10-12 18:47:16

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Allen let  me know how this turns out  ..I have TBS   too1

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

My car has the bench seat from classic roadsters LTD. Id prefer the original looking seats from Moss but theyre really pricy for the whole set. Does anyone have them and if so how well do they fit for height and width? What is the purpose of the seat straps?

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

I found them at a local upholstery place that recover chairs and sofas.
    Somewhere on here I have a discriptions and pictures to resolve the DBS.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Rick: The Moss interior kits are really nice and the seat material–leather I think–can be made to work with a replica. The door panels and interior cards, etc–no (we’ve tried).

Now, the seats in our replicas are nothing at all like what MG installed at Abingdon. We’ve mostly got fiberglass (or wood) boxes, bolted to the floor, usually with plywood tops hinged in the front so they can fold forward to reveal storage underneath. The plywood part has got the foam on top and then the upholstery is stretched over that and stapled underneath to the wood. That’s the usual stock TDr seat construction, and it looks pretty much like the original–particularly if you’ve got the two separate seats with the one back….
    But the plywood-with-foam construction is hard on the posterior region over long distances. So what a few guys have done–not me, not yet–but a few have…is cut the plywood out so it looks like the seat of a latrine, then stretched elastic and/or nylon straps over the opening, sort of like a lawn chair has.
    Then the foam goes back on top and the upholstery atop that, as usual, and stapled again to the underside nice and tight. Looks the same from up top but, done right, offers a bit of “give” in the places where it counts.
    OK so having said all that: The best way, in my opinion, to get really sweet TD seats is to go to an auto and/or boat upholstery shop and show them the project. They make stuff like this all day, every day, and if you also show them a seat you’re trying to copy, they’ll get it right the first time for like $100-$200 a seat (my guess). In your case, if the bench is still in good shape, you can save on material by making the “boxes” for each side and then having your upholstery person salvage the old bench for the needed material.  

edsnova2015-10-12 21:23:16

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Schu. I have seen your pictures and I’m trying to find the straps. I’ll try a local upholstery shop
    and let everyone know how it went. And post pictures when complete.

Allen Caron

Royal
    Participant

@royal

You might want to consider putting a diaphragm or a bladder under the seat.  I did this on my TR6 a long time ago.  At the time it was made of very heavy rubber, you might want to call and verify.  I think it could be adapted quite easily.  See part #3 below:

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32954

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Thanks for the feedback. The photos are great and a big help. Ill stick with what Ive got for now but Ill be keeping my eyes open for something better for long rides. So-Cal traffic is a nightmare and getting worse all the time. Last Friday it took me 3 hours to drive 75 miles! I cant get over how many people are moving to California.

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

I did this mod and got the burlap webbing from Joanne fabrics a local fabric store.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Rob. Thanks for the Joanne Fabrics lead. There is one on the way home from work. Tomorrow is my last day. Then when the wife retires I’m looking at heading home to New England.

Allen Caron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.