She's comin' along! (and gauges?)

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits She's comin' along! (and gauges?)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Derek
    Participant

@nobody

Woohoo! My MG is coming along finally, had troubles with the starter after getting it all wired up. Put a new one in and re-did the ends of the batter>starter cable and she starts like a charm (every time even!) Now just to get her in for a tune up tomorrow then I can start working on the cosmetic side of things. 

One question about gauges though. What brand do you guys use and what kinds? (Seedometer, Feul, and Tach of course but what others do you have? There are a Temp and Amp guage currently, but does a ’70 beetle have a temp or an oil pressure normally? 
    Thanks!
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

For a VW-based TDr the instruments/gauges typically are speedo, tach, fuel, oil press, oil temp and amp. My gauges are from Classic Instruments which, I believe, came with the kit.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Royal
    Participant

@royal

VDO Vision series black faced with chrome bezels are also common and it’s what I have although I prefer the look of the white faced gauges.  I have Speedo, tach, oil press, oil temp, fuel, amps and volts.  In addition, I have idiot lights from alternator (belt broken alert) and some folks have the oil pressure light also.  Some rainy day, I’ll probably do away with the amp gauge and put in a cylinder head temp.  

Derek
    Participant

@nobody

Ok, Ill look into those two brands. And you guys must have a proper dash board, mine only has 3 “ometers” in the middle with no frame around them. I will be getting a chunk of mahogany soon and making a new one though so does anyone know of any diagrams for layout of instruments and switches etc?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Dashboard, gauges. There is much to learn, grasshopper.

First lesson is this: follow your bliss. 
    The TD originally came with a speedo and tach, each near five inches in diameter, plus a brass/chrome center cluster containing an Amp gauge and then either an oil pressure or combo oil pressure/water temp gauge. These had a blue or greenish tint depending on the year of mfg. They were all marked “Jaeger” except the amp meter, which was Lucas. There were two lights on the left lower part of the center cluster: a green one and a red. One was “low fuel” (there was no fuel gauge) and the other was an oil pressure light.
    But all these gauges were just the starting point, and by, say, 1952 you could find all manner of gauges and dials on any given TD. There was the motoMeter temp gauge sticking out of the radiator cap. There were vacuum gauges, boost gauges, oil temp, and various added idiot lights for turn signals and the like. Some owners took out the horn switch and/or the key switch/light switch and put more gauges in those holes. 
    Some owners dispensed with the center cluster all together and sunk gauges directly into the dash wood–just as your kit maker depicts. If you look around you’ll see all manner of “real” TD dash layouts, with many kinds of gauges.
    When I re-did Bridget’s dash I went with a stock VW speedo in part because its larger size looks more like the original TD and in part because the gas gauge is built in. I paired it with a 4 5/8-inch Classic Instruments tach & bought a used, but reparable TD center cluster on ebay, plus an old key switch (which is not hooked up–dunno if I trust it) and a repro horn dipswitch from Moss. 
    Going with the original size and layout turned my crank. I also went a little crazy with the dash woodwork. 
    That was my thing. Others will like different things.
    Schu did an amazing all-wood job on his dash & to my eye it’s at least as impressive as mine. I’ll bet a lot of folks like his better. He’s also got more functionality (i.e. gauges) than me.
    Derek
    Participant

@nobody

Thanks for the input! And that is a beautiful dash!

I’ve somewhat decided on the layout for my new dash and started making it but I do not have the chrome center cluster as seen on TDs. I was wondering if anyone who does have one would be willing to trace it onto some paper and send it to me so I can make one? I can’t just buy a replica or original due to the gauge layout being different but I would still like to have the “original” look.

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

I reverse engineered the outline from a photo I took of a real TD. It’s very close, but not exact. I have an Autocad file or can mail you a paper copy. Send me private message with your address if you want it. (or your email if a cad file is ok.)

John Richardson
    Participant

@prisoner6

I liked the size of the stock VW speedo but also wanted a similar sized tach. Picked up a decal from the ’50s or ’60s with gear shift points, got a good used speedo but after spraying over the MPH numbers on the face and applying the decal on the glass face it didn’t look so hot. E Bay searches didn’t find anything cheap until December when I picked up a working 914 electric tach but needed cleaning tach for $45 + S & H. Already cut a 4 1/4 inch hole in dash for the speedo/tach so the 914 tach was just a little work with a semi-circular file to make it fit. Looks good (see picture). The original gauges were in very bad nick so yesterday I picked up a used Veglia “Benzene” gas gauge same diameter as VDO and a B & M oil pressure gauge but it runs 100 psi to 300 psi wrong scale. Thought the Benzini Gasolini gauge sounded cute. This morning stopped by Harbor Freight where they had set of 3 gauges –  Ampheres, Water temp and a Oil Press 0-80 PSI which was what I wanted anyway (oil pressure, is mechanical vice electrical so I will have to route the nylon oil line), I also am wiring the oil pressure idiot light  . Very nice gauges with the metal brackets that hold to the back of the dash. With Harbor Freights 25% discount coupon cost me little over $12.00. Last week I received a 12″ X 24″ vinyl decal that show engined turned panel. I adhered it over the molded gauge panel, cut gauges and indicator light holes and it looks pretty good, photo to follow later. Attaching a photo of rough dash. New engines in, new tranny new everything else. Finally got her a name – “Mrs. Peale” was taken so I decided “Sow’s Ear” was quite appropriate. Got way too much money in her to stop now. I  the photos I’m attaching work out I’ll eventually do a start to finish. Lots of topics to discuss. Prisoner Number 6

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Looks good. Your adventure reminds me: the 914 gauges are about the right size and there are plenty of repros around because of the Speedster replica business.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

I’d been looking at 914 gauges, since mine has the smaller 3-3/8 VDO tach.  It’s nice to see one installed, side-by-side, for comparisons.  Thanks for posting!  

Anyone know what other gauge is in the 914 multigauge other than the gas gauge?  I have no idea what’s on top…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

That’s the temp gauge.

http://www.p914.com/p914_gauges_cluster.htm

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Hmm… thanks Paul!

Putting one of those to the left of the 914 tach (there’s room) would free up a hole in the center section.  I’m trying to figure out how to add an oil pressure gauge, and this might be the solution… 
    Mine currently has oil temp, ammeter and a clock in the center section…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.