Spare tire query

Home Forums General Discussion Spare tire query

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gregg Strain
    Participant

@greggs

I have a Fiberfab TD powered by VW with a fake spare tire on the engine cover. I guess it’s fitting that a fake car should have a fake tire! I like to carry a real spare on the rear cover. The subject is not covered in my Fiberfab manual. I know that MG Magic has a bracket that can be used on the rear engine cover – anyone using it?

My question is; can the lid safely carry the weight? The cover is secured by a piano hinge along the top. Has anyone done this specifically on a Fiberfab body? I’m also thinking about a luggage rank in the future.

I’ve also thought that if I could find a compact spare to fit my 4 hole VW, I might be able to fit it up front, but I would have to relocate the horns and reroute some wiring.

Your suggestions or concerns would be welcome as always! Gregg

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

My Fiberfab came to me with a full spare trunk mounted and I have had no problems.

There is a fiberglass “hat” which bolts thru the trunk cover and the metal tire bracket mounts to that.

I have the same piano hinge which you described.  There is a photo in my media gallery.

🙂

Toller
    Participant

@toller

I removed the fibreglass wheelcover when I did the restoration of my FF TDR I fabbed a bracket from 3/16 steel similar to one sold by MG Magic and mounted it to the engine cover with 4 bolts that I reinforced with additional fibreglass. I added four rubber spacers around the opening so the spare does not rest on the engine cover. I also added two pneumatic lifts to the engine cover and tub to dampen any vibration with the full sized spare on the engine cover After two years and 1000 klms have no stress cracks in the engine cover. Unfortunately the weight of the spare does not allow the pneumatic lifts to open the engine cover when the engine cover catches are removed so I still have to carry a golf club to hold the engine cover open One side benefit is that I have improved the ventilation in the engine compartment and dropped operating temps by 5-10 degrees

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

Gregg Strain
    Participant

@greggs

Kall, I am aware of the fiberglass “hat”, but I think that was available after CMC took over FF. Apparently my edition is older and has no mention of the hat. I suspect that the engine cover is the same as yours, but the hat was available to you and not for my particular kit year.  Thanks for responding and if you want to sell your lid, let me know!  I like your package shelf.

Gregg Strain
    Participant

@greggs

David, Thanks for responding. In your opinion, is the MG Magic bracket close enough to your design? I have thought about fabricating a steel ring to bolt onto the opening and fastening the bracket to that. But I can see what you did to reinforce would work. I’m risking the hijacking of my own post, but I was concerned about running hotter than I would like and I remounted  my fake spare similar to what you did. It helped, but not as much as I hoped. An examination of my spark plugs indicated that I should increase my carb jets. I moved up two steps and that helped – about the same as raising the tire cover. I know that VW put a lot of importance and effort into separating the air flow from the upper and lower halves. So, I installed a rear engine tin to redirect the air that comes into contact with the exhaust header out the rear of the car. That was the biggest change – about 15 degrees. I think there is an assumption that kit cars are so open around the engine like a dune buggy, that overheating is not an issue. I made that assumption. But they’re not dune buggies.

Toller
    Participant

@toller

Gregg
    Fabbing a ring to go around the entire opening in the engine cover would help distribute the weight and minimize vibration that will cause stress cracks. Unfortunately I can’t provide pics of what I did as I put the car into storage last weekend. As PO installed an after market oil cooler in same place as original cooler I think that I am still running hotter than I should be and am looking into either returning to stock oil cooler and finding required tin to draw air through cooler or add a 12” rad fan under the spare tire and using a heat sensor switch to power the fan to exhaust air out of engine compartment. Realize that directing hot air air at spare tire may result in premature deterioration of rubber but tires are cheaper than repair to overheated engine

Interested in your comment re examining spark plugs and based on visual appearance determined that change in jet was required. Can you provide further info.

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

Gregg Strain
    Participant

@greggs

David, I sent you a private message. We’re off the subject here!

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Gregg,

I tok another route re: the spare on the Fiber Fab car I sold a few years ago:  I found a spare that would fit under the hood —

I got the tire from ONLINETIRES.COM and mounted it on a standard VW 4-hole rim.  Here’s the info:

176K5AFE FORMOZA FD1 – 165/45-15 FEDERAL FORMOZA FD1 68V – FEDERAL FORMOZA FD1 1 $50.53 $50.53

The spare/rim fit perfectly under the hood!!

…Just another option for carrying a spare

Have Fun

Happy Jack

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.