Spare Wheel Carrier Assistance

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Spare Wheel Carrier Assistance

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Toller
    Participant

@toller

Would like to replace fibreglass faux spare wheel with real spare on my FF. Have removed six bolts holding fibreglass fake, not sure but suspect fake may have added some structural strength to engine cover on so new carrier has to restore integrity to cover and have strength to support added weight of wheel, tire and hub cap. Has anyone done this? If so can you provide advice and pics. I have access to metal brake so was looking at just bending a bridge type carrier but would like to avoid fabricating some by trial and error. Second request is to find out what kind of support struts could be used to support weight of engine cover and spare. The 1×2 pine I use now has to be replaced with something more appropriate. I know it is functional but idea of having cover crash down on head or hands while working on engine is one lesson I would like to avoid

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Fiberfil kits use the fake spare to mount the metal spare tire mount. The spare tire mount is a metal bracket within two studs that you drill through the fiberglass mount. Insert metal bracket through drilled holes and secure with washer, lock washer and nut. Then mount actual spare on the two studs. Look at the VW manual section of Classic Motor Carriages in the reference library tab on the left. Its on page 39.newkitman2016-03-30 18:14:54

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

You can buy hood hindges that will work and take the weight. I will post my pictures tomorrow. Also I built my own carrier using a simple design I stole from Shu another member. I will post those pictures as well. Mg magic sellers a spare tire carrier bolt in for $80 (?).

In wine there is truth, in water health.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The bracket from MG Magic:

http://www.mgmagicclassicmotorparts.com/spare-tire-bracket/

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Spare mounted

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Right Side

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Left Side

Okay so the first picture is the spare mounted. If you look you can see the flat steel braket through the hub hole on the tire. I am still looking for the pictures I have of Schu’s design. It it basically a piece of 2″x1/8th”x48″ flat steel that has been bent to a U shape. I marked the middle of the 48″ steel and measured the inside of the tire where the two lugs are opposite each other. Then it was a matter of bending the steel to the depth of the tire and rim. When this is done you will have a U shape with two long ends. You bend the ends over again so they just hit the tire. Trim those end to your opening. Use the left over two pieces to reinforce the mounting bracket at the outside edges.

The other two pictures are of the hood supports. I found them on e-bay. They were from a kit build of a cobra. (23$ for the set.) I have since found that these are fairly universal 23 inch hood supports. You can see that I used a piece of 2″ angle aluminum to build the mounting points on the hood. I simply found the point on the body where they would give me the extension I needed and mounted the base there.

I hope this helps..

Dbanta2016-03-31 11:27:52

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

I have one of those brackets from MG Magic that I never put on Abby (my FiberFab Tdr that I sold last year).  And my BCW Tdr already has a spare tire mount — so I don’t need this bracket.  

It came without mounting hardware  — so you d have to add those misc. nuts and bolts and washers.
    PM me if you are interested.  
    Happy Jack
    Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

If Happyjack has the MG magic bracket and he will give it to you at the “club” price 😉 then
    the MG Magic bracket is probably the easiest way to go. Here is my bracket from the bottom.

Toller
    Participant

@toller

Dean

Perfect just the kind of info I was looking for. 
    Two questions, any stress cracks in the engine cover due to the weight of the wheel or have the two right angle strips of metal distributed the weight enough to minimize the flexing?
    Do the cover supports lock in place to keep them extended?  Was looking at using gas struts like  I have supporting the window on the cap of the truck but didn’t think they would be able to hold the engine cover and weight of the wheel. 

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

No stress cracks. The side supports distribute the weight. The tire will also lay on the fiberglass. You can also add a couple of rubber spacers under the tire to stop the vibration. Yes, the supports lock into place when it is open and you raise the hood to release them. I am not sure that gas supports will take the weight of the tire.

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

This is similar to what I am using. I did a quick search on e-bay but I get a lot of gas hood supports.

PMOSSBERG2016-03-31 17:31:19

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.