Spun It and Bearing Spun Again

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Spun It and Bearing Spun Again

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Got the engine assembled and did the first spin up to get the pre-lube done and check for leaks and the the second “spun it” occurred. Cry   Took the engine apart, again, and found the #4 bearing (the one next to the crank pulley) had spun yet again. This is the second time I spun that particular bearing in this engine so after an inspection of the bearing it appears the bearing pin is just barely fitting in the hole. I looked at the pin and I’m not certain but the pin doesn’t look right. So Monday I’ll get another set of bearings and 5 new pins just to be on the safe side.  More to come in this saga. Talk about this project fighting me all the way. I never had this much trouble with the Karmann Ghia.
    newkitman2014-03-15 18:38:46

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Sorry for your trouble’s, Allen. Keep at it. You’ll get it together.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Yee haaaaaaaaaaa! Engine is together AND…..it rotates by hand. FINALY!

Now all I have to do is add on the cooling tins and fan. Had the generator checked and the bearings were bad. New generator locally is $155 and rebuilt one is $135. I can get a new 55 amp alternator and alternator stand for $100. Guess I’ll go with the alternator. But right now my right shoulder (needs replacing) is really sore and is acting up so I’m going to try and rest it tomorrow.

Allen Caron

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Making progress.

The alternator is better. You won’t regret switching.
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

What Ed said!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Congrats, Allen… Smile

X3 on the alternator.  Make sure you hook it up correctly – many of the alternators are internally regulated, and you need to remove the voltage regulator from the circuit — but I’m sure you likely knew that!

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

I used one of the new one-wire alternators. Works great but had one problem. It drained the battery after a while. I had to install a relay to disconnect it when key is off. No problems after that. Was told that the alt I used is a racing alternator and those guys don’t worry about drain current.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That is just weird. What the heck would be pulling current on a stopped alternator?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

thanks Ed!

I was about to ask the same thing!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

All righty then! New alternator, alternator stand, fuel pump, and oil pump. #1 and #2 cylinders installed and will do the other side tomorrow. Was going good until my OLD body said “Hey. What in the world are you doing?” so I figured it was time to rest. Tomorrow will be another good day (Lord willing). At least I don’t have to contend with snow like some of you. And don’t worry…no pics with shorts and sandals! Thumbs Up

Allen Caron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.