STG-inc. back on line

Home Forums Site Rules and Etiquette STG-inc. back on line

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

Hi everyone.  I’m back!  Its been a year or so since I have posted here, but I have been working on my kit…  Wiring, interior and top is just about all that is left and she will be on the road.  Here are a few pictures of the last years journey!

As you can see… There is ALWAYS something to do in Doug’s garage!!!  A new engine for my 16 year old’s 72 Super Beetle.
    Hope to be able to get this project finished before it cannot be used till spring!
    Doug
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

DOUG! Glad you’re back man. You’ve been making better progress than me but I’m getting there. Welcome back!

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

Thanks Allen!  I have been @ a stand still since I got to the wiring.  The harness I have did not match either diagram I have in my build manual (not even frigg’n close!)  I bought a “Easy Wire” harness @ a friends suggestion, and I am trying to work my way through making it suitable for a rear engine application.

I still want to drop the rear suspension a click or two, but all-in-all it is coming along pretty well… save for the fact that the P.O. cut the side panels “way” too short which has resulted in the entire front end to be 3/4 inches shorter that it is supposed to be…  lol
    Derek
    Participant

@nobody

Looking amazing! Love the green beetle btw.

When I got my TDr there was nothing in the way of wiring so I started from a beetle wiring loom. I had to modify some of it especially in the front end to reach the headlights and such. Overall it was fairly easy just took time to figure out where to run everything and where it all went.
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

OK…Carlisle in the spring !!!

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Doug! Welcome back man!

Your TDr is looking great! Nice work!

I’m with Derek. I’m coveting that green Beetle. She’s stunning!

Classic Roadsters Ltd.’s schematics are excellent. Granted, they matched CRL’s harnesses. But they still might help you out. They are in our Download Manuals section. Here is a direct link: https://tdreplica.com/Manuals/Duchess/Classic%20Roadsters%20VW%20Duchess%20Part%207%20-%20Wiring%20Diagrams.pdf

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mike Schumacher
    Participant

@juneybug

fantastic pictures the sequencing may well be in the manuals but seeing clear visuals so useful. I know you’ll post your wiring solution. I’m a long way off but remains a total unknown. And a well lit man cave as well Thanks Mike

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Nice build! Did you end up lengthening the front side panels?

Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

Well… since the jellcoat on the car is perfect, I didn’t want to try to add an inch to both side panels then try to match the jellcoat and have something that did not look good.  So, I tried as best I could to split the distance in multiple ways throughout the entire body.

I was able to gain almost 3/8 of an inch literately by pushing everything back the the rear and flexing the leading edge of the rear fenders.  Running boards, fenders, removing and stock and re-welding front bumper brackets, etc.
    Next, I gained a 1/4 inch or so by adding rubber cowling to the firewall to push the side panels forward.
    Finally I was able to fill the gap at the radiator and front fenders with black “pinch-welting”.
    To look at it you would never know unless you really knew what to look for.  I will take some pictures this weekend and post them.
    Doug
    Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

Hi Everyone!

No, I did not fall off the face of the earth…  I did, however, take a new position with my company that requires WAY more of my time than I ever expected!  (though I do make more than I should)  😉
    I have been working on my project (hit and miss) but the wiring is almost complete and today I got my gas tank welding completed!
    As soon as I can get some pictures uploaded I will share them.
    For now… PEACE!
    Doug
    Douglas Willis
    Participant

@stg-inc

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Very nice. A lot of work there.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

What a neat job on the wiring. I am envious–and very impressed.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Nice work Doug!

So good to see the progress!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Looks so good… and new too! Must feel nice to make progress however slow it might be. I can only know the pretty good feeling of buying a completed car.

🙂
    Your nicely welded gas tank picture is motivating me to get that done on mine so I can drive more than 50 miles at a time on a plastic portable tank! My old tank looked like I welded it myself and I don’t weld.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.