Tdr finds a new home

Home Forums General Discussion Tdr finds a new home

This topic contains 53 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  edsnova 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author

edsnova
    Participant

@edsnova

For the record, Roy’s recollection is right: TDs (and TFs and TCs, etc.) had plywood floors. The chassis was steel—it looked like C channel but was actually a rectangular tube that was relieved on its inboard sides. The body panels were framed internally with ash wood—that’s the “wood frame” people talk about and it is hard to repair if it rots, because you have to peel off the sheet metal, then build the framing to very precise tolerances, then replace the sheet metal without using any serious heat (which could burn the wood). So its cold-hammer, by hand, slowly and carefully. Just a joy if that’s the kind of thing that brings you joy. Not so much if you like actually driving the car….

happyjack
    Participant

@happyjack

Fiberglass work SUCKS!!

Well, I recently learned where my talents DO NOT lie — I HATE FIBERGLASS WORK!!!!!

…But it was finally time to get the firewall sealed up so that I could get on with putting the rest of the car together and also get the wiring finished and the dash installed.  But what a royal pain in the butt…..

And even though Roy came over to provide a Tech Assist and moral support, it was still some of the worst, sloppiest, hardest stuff I have ever done on the car…..or in my life, for that matter…….

Luckily the sound dampening mat that I ordered form Amazon will cover up the dregs and overspill of fiberglass so only you all will know what lies under the shiny mat under the carpet!!

…But then again, it may not be as bad as I am making it out to be.  It certainly is well sealed and seems pretty strong — just not pretty to look at.

So now it just needs to have a couple of thin spots re-glassed, some caulking to be added under the battery box, and then I’ll call this part of the project “done and good riddance.”

Ed, I’m REALLY envious of the work you did on  your fender widening fiberglass project…Lots of Kudos to you for that work….

Now on to getting the rest of the car put together

“Happy to NOT be doing fiberglass work ever again once this car is finished being glassed” Jack

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Jack, now would be the time to consider opening up the horizontal portion of your cowl above the pedal assembly. If you would ever need to get to your stop light switch or pedal bushings, whatever, it will beat laying on your back through the door opening working blind by feel. (Can you tell I’ve been there?)

Looking good though. Keep it up.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edsnova
    Participant

@edsnova

I dunno, Jack; that all looks pretty good to me. Enjoy the rest of the build!

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar