Tea Kettle for (Happy)Jack!!!!

Home Forums General Discussion Clubs and Show Tea Kettle for (Happy)Jack!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Jack,

At the risk of incurring Wobby’s wrath for being an enabler…here are four current auctions for a replacement tea kettle in case you want to go all froufrou at your next car show:

Just keep them out of the “Tea Totaller’s” path of destruction.

PMOSSBERG2015-05-21 18:37:42

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Looks like they’re not as rare as I thought. Also here. $75, American. Auctions apparently sometimes bring more.

It would be hilarious if we all got them and made a video with them next year at Carlisle. Picture six-eight guys making tea at the side of their TDs, sipping from fine bone china, pinkie-up, and then snapping on helmets and repairing to the race track. 
    I would make that video. Not sure I’m up for the tea kettle myself though.

(BTW, Bill has already replaced Jack’s; should be on the way soon).

edsnova2015-05-21 20:37:07

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey folks,

Up until now, the whole “TEAPOT SAGA” has remained quietly in the background — so mainly the TDr  people who were at Carlisle know the story — one that BillNparts should be allowed to tell….
    But since the word is (partially) out, here is a picture of the “Phoenix out of the ashes” teapot after a bout with a ball peen hammer and some JB Weld……I do know it gets hot, but no sure if my JB Weld patch will fix the leaks at the spout (hmm, I wonder if fully set JB Weld is toxic??????)  I guess I’ll either trade this pot for a less-totaled model, auction it off at Carlisle next year, keep it as a momento
    of a great time had by all at Carlisle 2015, or mount it on a plaque and present it to the most worthy TDr attendee at Carlisle next year……
    Bill, you’re on tap to tell the story…….now that Paul has let the kettle out of the bag……..
    Still Happy Jack
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

The new replacement kettle arrived Thursday. Jack, PM me with your address so I can ship it. We had to cancel our trip to New Bern, so I will not be able to hand deliver it to you.

Let me organize some photos, and I will post the story of the demise of your little teapot.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Are you kidding me?

I have no idea how you got a hammer into the crushed kettle Jack!

But that work of art is now the perfect companion for Wobby’s car!

Only one issue left to be settled… Given the above search results and Bill’s quick find of a replacement, are you sticking to your “it was the only one in the country” story? Ermm

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Yea, I guess I’ll have to drop my whining about it being such a rare and impossible to find tea pot……..

But speaking of Wobby, I set up a little diorama (or gag-a-rama according to some folks…..) to highlight the repaired tea kettle.  Some say it is “T” for TERRIFIC — some say “T” for Tacky…you be the judge:
    Da ya think that the gloves, goggles, Snoopy Hat ……and Lemons are a little much?????
    Again don’t forget to vote:   T for Tacky……. 
    …… or T for Tremendously Terrific Tea Tray-on-Table …onTD ?
    Happy Jack
    Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

I vote “T” and can’t wait to hear Bill’s story.  Oh and you forgot the cream. LOL

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

OK, most of this story has been told in bits and pieces. Ed would surely do this story its due justice, but we’ll give it a try.

It was a dark and stormy night…wait, that’s not right.
    It was a beautiful, sunny Friday afternoon and several TDr’s gathered on the show field at Carlisle. Jack was one of the first to arrive and decided he would serve tea from the comfort of his own car. He set up a serving tray and had cups and saucers and a tea kettle on display. I never saw this display. This photo is the first I saw what he had done and this is not my photo.

Jack’s car is on the far left and you can barely make out what he has done.
    As more cars arrived I ended up parked directly behind Jack.
    Conversation turned to Saturday’s autocross and it was decided to take a ride over the hill to the lot that would set up for the Autocross track and see if we could get a couple laps in. An unofficial practice, so to speak. As everyone climbed into cars, I waited for Jack to pull out and I followed him out of the field towards the road when my car made an hellacious noise. You all know that noise where you know something terrible has happened. You know the noise was not the car but you don’t know what it really was. Ed picked up pieces of serving tray and shards of tea cups and saucers. Keep in mind that I had yet to see Jack’s museum exhibit.

I was told that I had destroyed an ancient heirloom that Jack had treasured above all else. I was handed what appeared to be an old crumpled canteen.

I couldn’t believe Jack would take his tea service and place it unguarded on the ground. I had destroyed Jack’s pride and joy. I asked those who knew not to tell Jack. I would do that myself.
    I waited until we were chased off the AutoX lot and told Jack that some asshole ran over his tea service back on the show field. That asshole was me. He was angry, but didn’t really show it. He said it was OK, but that it was irreplaceable. There were none in this country. He had picked up the last one in the world that was for sale and I had flattened it.

As we sat around the Wobby’s motor home enjoying a great dinner prepared by Mrs. Wobby, being abused and labeled the “Tea Totaler” I pulled out my phone and in a matter of minutes had located a replacement kettle, texted my wife with it’s location and gave her instructions to buy it. So much for being the last, irreplaceable tea kettle. The new kettle arrived this week and I got my first look at what this thing was supposed to look like. I thought the canteen look was pretty cool.

Jack, as you practice with a new display you might consider a stake with a flag so people know where it is you leave this thing laying around.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Oh, that is brilliant. I am laughing tears of joy and guilt once again.

I actually tried to get phone video of the moment Bill told Jack what he had done. Thought I had it but when I checked later I had bupkis. 
    Jack was, indeed, extremely gracious. But frickin’ Wobby went over the top. Within a few minutes of the event, Wobby was dishing Jack a rash of sh*t for even having the dang thing, and at dinner a few hours later (delicious ham dinner served at Chez Wobby by Mrs. Wobby, BTW), he kept right at it. Hence Jack’s T-vote in his other thread. If not for Wobby, no one would ever have thought this setup tacky.
    Wobby kept going on and on about what an abomination this tea set was. Kept likening it to those shiny plastic burger-n-fry sets hanging off the occasional ’56 Chevy at cruise-ins. 
    But this was nothing like that! The tea kettle was a legit period accessory for the TD and other prissy little British cars of the 1950s. And the tea set Jack has was the real deal too, stamped “Made in England.” Not to everyone’s taste, maybe, but not tacky like those fake-ass “I’m-at-a-’50s-car-hop” things Wobby was comparing it to.
    I was ready to piss myself listening to him go on and on about it like he was really offended. Total straight face. A passerby who didn’t know him might have likened Wobby’s shpiel to Bill O’Reilly bitching about The Mexicans.
    Anyway, for sure, Bill was and is the most stand-up SOB you could want to meet. Quietly and without fanfare he grabbed up the next-to-last tea kettle and even tried to conceal the fact from Jack, who of course told him not to bother because he blamed himself for leaving the thing in Bill’s path. A mensch of the first order, that guy is.
    Actually, both those guys. 
    If it had been my junk got run over I would not have handled it as gracefully. 

edsnova2015-05-22 23:03:16

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Happy Jack. what’s up? No British “Egg Coddler?” Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.  🙂

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Nice to hear about, just not so good to happen though. Thanks for the story!

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Time for TEA!!

Well yesterday I got my new replacement tea pot — Billnparts gets a silver star for finding a replacement — his wife gets a gold star for making it happen…!!!
    old, very dented and JB-welded one on the left vs. unblemished New Old Stock kettle on the right
    …and since it was at least 1/2 my fault for laying the “old” pot on the ground below Bill’s sight line, I owe him at least 1/2 a dinner while we are at the Air museum car show in Va Beach VA in October….!!!!
    Thanks again Bill for being, as Ed called you, a “stand-up Guy.” (as opposed to a “Hit and Run” Tea Pot Totaller)
    Now I need to start developing a new Diorama for Va Beach………..something with fold-up Campaign furniture, tea cups, kettle, and an umbrella, I think……
    Really Happy Jack now that I have my replacement genuine No. 111, 12 volt, 1 pint, made-in-England SIRRAM Electric Car Kettle (that draws 18 amps @ 12 volts DC and takes 20 minutes to boil a pint of water).
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I love a happy ending.

No one tell Wobby!

Paul Mossberg

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.