The Race of Gentlemen. Anyone been to this?

Home Forums General Discussion The Race of Gentlemen. Anyone been to this?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Ed, I’ve been meaning to go to this every year since I’ve been here but I’ve missed it every year.  Maybe we could get together and show up next summer.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Find the date…I’m in.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Bill, it’s usually in early June.  I’ll keep an eye out for it next year and organize it when they post the dates.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I mean to do it every year the past few years and always forget. It’d be way cool to show up as a “club” in more-or-less period dress, English style.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

White lab coats with goggles and snoopy hats would be cool??  (With “TD or not TD?” stenciled on the back)

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

I’d do it too but the link I saw says the cars need to be pre-1934.

There is, however, something called the “Cecil Kimber Run” (Oct. 23 – hosted by a Brit car group in NJ) which starts at the Yetter’s Diner in Agusta NJ (Route 206/15) and runs up towards High Point and eventually to some place near Port Jervis (where NY/NJ/PA all come together).

I had posted something about it earlier, but because we’re in transition on this site I thought it might be worth mentioning again.

Tom

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

I missed the part about pre-1934.  It looks like we might be out at the Cecil Kimber thing too because the site says it’s “(o)pen to all British cars classic and modern.”  

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

When one consider’s that the Mini Cooper’s are produced at a BMW plant in Oxfordshire whilst others (larger Countryman) are produced by Magna Steyr in Austria (as well as my wife’s old E500 4-Matic Mercedes Benz, the Aston Martin Rapide, Deisel Jeep Commander and even the Puch (non moped – 4 wheel variant)), one begins to wonder exactly what is and is not “British”… why even the Titanic was owned by Americans!

Real issue is that besides me and a chap from Newton NJ, no one is closer than NYC or lower PA/MD.  The folks with tin-TD’s tend to be a bit older (and richer) and more apprehensive about twisting roads, bad weather and running off into a ditch with a 65 year old vehicle worth $30K+/-…..

TDr’s have become the modern stock-cars of the original T-series (remember that original stock cars, were indeed “stock”… modern variants are only stock-looking fibreglass shells) because we’re willing to put them to the test (even though our parts are probably harder to replace than the originals in case you crunch a fender or tear off a door….).

You can’t belive the numer of Coopers on the road arond here – most of which either give me a wave, or glare at me because my TD is WAY cooler looking (and bigger) than their car!  In my experiences folks in the occasional beater TR6, MGB, Fiat Spyder, etc. are all mates and equally enjoy the cheers and jeers of the Mini Folks.

So, basically I don’t think if you showed up at Wildwood or Augusta you’d be booed off the field…. but who knows?

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Today’s Mini Cooper has nothing in common with the Austin 7 (aka Austin Morris Mini) of 1959-1999 other than the name.  While the original classic Mini was almost unchanged for it’s 40 years of production by various British companies (Austin, Morris, British Leyland, BMC, and Rover..and I probably forgot a few) today’s Mini (BMW), while a fine machine, is a totally different and very modern automobile.

The classic Mini was very very British even though many of them were made in other countries (Japan, yes Japan and Italy for example).

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Pre 1934 to race…not to watch

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I love the idea of the Kimber Run but I think Oct 23 might clash with our now-annual VA Beach Fly-in. What am I bid?

As for the Gentlemen–I was thinking go and watch, not race. Looks like a scene.

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Ed, the Air and Auto is on the 15th of Oct. this year, the rain date is the 29th.  I was thinking about going to see the Gentlemen race so I’ll keep and eye on it and post the dates when they go up.  Bill said he’s in so that’s at least the three of us.  I’m still not convinced about the Kimber run, they have it billed as a “club event” on their site so I don’t think we would be welcome to play.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.