Three Piece manifold – Installation and Issues

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Three Piece manifold – Installation and Issues

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

So I must be crazy. I decided to take out me stock manifold and install one of the three piece manifolds. The first issue is getting the old manifold out. I ended up taking the dremel with a cutting disc to both ends to pull it through. Major surgery.  I have a 1968 (Dec) 1500 single port motor. I am doing this because I am unhappy with the power in the motor and I suspected that the old manifold had some leakage. The next issue is that the centerpiece comes with a large tab on the back that interferes with the casing bolts. I guess it is different on a 1600. The other issue is that the center piece is supposed to work with both the 34PICT and the 31PICT carbs.  I have the 31 but there is no way in the world that I can get a nut on the stud as it comes through the flange. I guess I could grind some of the neck but I am concerned that the tube is too thin. I will add more pictures below so you can see what it looks like. The exhaust tubes fit on the passenger side but the drivers side is about two inches too long. I may just block them off. I will mots likely go with a 34 PICT 3 carb as well. Has anyone else done this swap on  your TDr? With set of Single port heads? TIAThe Tab

In wine there is truth, in water health.

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

you can see that the carb flange wont line up flat.

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

A general look

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Dean,

Sorry you are having issues – I do know that you will need an adapter plate to use the 31 vs the 34 – I had one for a while but sold it or gave it away with the carb. I believe Wayne  Dittman might have one local and I think I still have the center section in my garage if you want it but not sure it will fit either – you can have it for a ride up here. Text or call me and we can talk.

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Thanks Dale. You always seem to have these “extra” parts!  🙂  I may ping you later in the week. The car will stay apart for a few days. I am deciding whether to grind the tab on the center section or look for an alternative. BTW – The carb flange on the center section will accommodate a 31 or 34 carb it’s just that there is no way to get the nut on the inside stud of the carb because of the sharp bend in the neck. I could probably make it work by replacing the inside stud with a bolt and doing some wrenching shenanigans. (putting the bolt through the hole and placing the carb on the bolt and screwing the carb into the bolt – if you know what I mean…)

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Dean,

Trying to remember what that looks like and might have a special VW wrench for same if it is what I remember.

You want to upgrade? Have Wayne take your engine up to 1641 or 1776 with dual port etc. Lots of added power etc.

His price for a complete engine 1600 minus tin/carb etc is like 800.00 so if you use your stuff I am sure the price will be lower.

Putting a set of Dual Italian Webers on classifieds right now so that is an option with that engine.

Think about it…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.