Two oil fillers. Why?

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Two oil fillers. Why?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

Look at the last 2 pics on the attached eBay listing. There appears to be an oil filler just above and to the right of the muffler.
    What would be the reason/function?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161922697515

Looks like a nice clean priced right TDr to me (of course it hasn’t sold yet).

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Damnedest thing I ever seen. Some sort of aftermarket oil pan maybe?

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Looking that over I realized there wasn’t an oil dipstick, not that I can see anyhow. Maybe that cap is really a dipstick inside that tube?

Still not knowing much of anything about VW’s there’s no way I would know if that was a certain model year but it almost seems original to that particular engine.
    Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

The ebay sale didn’t go through but the car is still listed on the dealer’s website: http://www.mbmotorsports.com/used/MG/1982-MG-TD-Tinton+Falls+NJ-de5a7c0e0a0a00bf2da0fb76db990835.htm

There the specs (below) list it as a 2 liter engine.  That may have something to do with the strange oil thing.
    • Year:1982
    • Make:MG
    • Model:TD
    • Trim:Replica
    • Bodystyle:Convertible
    • Mileage:22,389 miles
    • Engine:2.0L
    • Transmission:4 Speed Man.
    • Exterior Color:White
    • Interior Color:Red
    • VIN:11111111111233424
    • Stock #:11233424
    • Comments:Great Condition Replica! Built on a VW Bug Chassis! 2.0L Flat Four Engine (RWD). 4 Speed Manual Transmission. Suicide Doors. Red Leather Interior. Three Spoke Wood Grain Steering Wheel. Windshield Wipers. AM FM Radio with Majestic Speakers. 15 Inch Chrome Steel Wheels with ‘Moon’ Style Hub Caps. Thin Red Wall Tires. Front and Rear Drum Brakes. Air Horn. Black Vinyl Roof with A Great Condition Side Window Kit. Spare Tire Kit. Rear Chrome Luggage Rack. Quad Exhaust Tips. Retractable Antenna.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Ya know, I think our “slimy lawyer” friend may have it!

I know nothing about air cooled vs’s except the T1.

Looks like the T3 oil fill is where the “spare” filler is on this TDr.

This may be a FrankenVW.

Thanks Vicenc!

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Thanks, Roy!  It’s always nice to get kudos from the Master.   🙂

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Built on a 1980 Bug, and has a 2 liter engine?

Last standard Beetle imported was a 1973, I think. Last Super Beetle was a 1979 Convertible. The last few years only convertibles were imported. That has to be build date, kit mfg date, initial registration/titling date, or something else…

That’s likely a Type 3 (square back/fastback) engine block with Type 1 (Beetle or Ghia) cooling fan and oil cooler. The oil fill for them bolted to the rear of the oil sump. It may be a universal replacement block which would fit in either Type 1 or 3 but I think the universal case always came with provisions for both types of oil fillers and dipsticks. You could precisely step drill the Type 3 block and insert the tube and dipstick from a Bug.

There’s a 2005cc engine kit (90.5mm jugs/pistons + 78mm stroker crank) which might be characterized as a 2 liter – but I doubt that this engine has it. It appears to have the restrictive stock heater boxes and a single 30 PICT carb – both of which would be far too restrictive for that large an engine. I’d guess it’s likely a stock 1600cc or one with simply larger jugs/pistons (1776cc with 90.5mm jugs/piston or an 1835cc with 92mm jugs/pistons). I’d almost guarantee it’s not a stroker, with those restrictive intake and exhaust systems…

Bottom line is I don’t think the seller has a clue what he has…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.