Un-boxing my new car!

Home Forums General Discussion Car Registry Un-boxing my new car!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Noel Swanson
    Participant

@noels

So she finally arrived, having been shipped inside a crate from Ontario to Vernon, BC. Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/xK4iiyDWQ9E

Built by Prototype Research in Ontario in 1986, she has just 672 miles on the clock and is in like-new condition (well, a bit dusty, and some tiny speckles of rust on the headlamp holder, but that is it). Exactly the specs I was looking for: front engine, red, white (or light) seats to reflect the sunlight and heat, wire wheel covers. Fantastic.

Sadly she is now in storage until next summer, but then we will have a PERMAGRIN for sure!

Thanks everyone for your patience with my newbie questions.

Not quite sure how to upload photos on this page. Should I post any other details anywhere else on the site?

cheers!

Noel

1986 Chevette based TDr by Prototype Research (red, of course)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Ha! You appeared a bit exited uncrating her. I hope you have a lot of fun years with it.

A few years ago a fellow from Nova Scotia drove his TF replica down for the Spring show in Carlisle, PA.  Any chance of seeing it there?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Here’s a copy of Ed’s instructions concerning posting of photos. Too many steps, but that’s what it takes.

“First you go to your own thing. Upper right corner it should say something like “Howdy, Happy Jack.” Click on that and you get a drop-down menu. At the bottom it says “media.” Hover over that with your curser and you should see another drop-down menu with “albums,” “photos” “videos.” Click on “photos.”
    That should bring you to a new page. If you have previously uploaded pictures, you will see some of them. Under “All Photos” near the top left of the page you will see “options” and “upload.”
    Click on “upload.”
    That opens another drop down box. You can actually drag and drop pictures into this from a folder on your computer screen, or you can navigate to the folder on your computer with the pics. Double click on them and the upload begins. You should see them appear in your photo album.
    To get one into a post you have to click on it.
    It should open up big. Then RIGHT-click on it, and you should see a box open up on it with options like “copy,” “save image as,” etc. Click on “copy image address.”
    Now close the pic and find your way back to the post you want to put this photo in. (I often use two browser windows for this, keeping the “new post” box open in a separate tab or window).
    (Hang on, we’re getting close now)</span></span></span>
    Above the window where you want to make the picture go, there’s a line of little symbols. The second from the left is like a jagged little mountain with a little moon over it. That’s your “insert pic” button. Click it.
    That opens a new box with a prompt that says “Source.” PASTE (control or command V) the “image address” you copied about six steps ago. Then press OK.
    The photo should appear now as if by high-tech magic. So simple even a computer science Ph.D. could do it, sometimes, maybe, if he’d had enough Red B”

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Congrats on your new car! It’s sure to be lots of fun!

Isn’t it still too early to be garaging it already, even for Canada? From your video it looks like there are still a few weeks of nice weather.

But you can still act like a kid and sit in it in the garage and dream. Or be like lots of us and find things to tinker with until warm weather arrives!

Congratulations once again!

Amor Conquista Todo

Noel Swanson
    Participant

@noels

Yes, it is too early for storage – but we are now in Portugal, and headed to Trinidad for a month of sailing (see http://lifepart2.info) before returning to Canada for winter skiing. Then we go back to the boat in the spring, and so it won’t be until the proper summer that we get back to drive Sally.

And if I seem a bit excited, that might have something to do with waiting 41 years!

Ok, here is may attempt at uploading some pics (thanks for the instructions):

The last one is my and my mom shortly after we unboxed the car.

According to David Carlaw at Prototype Research “The car is very authentic to the original 1952 MGTD. The 3 differences are the bottom castings on the windshield frame, the taillights and the Headlight lower castings.”  Plus the three-point seat belts that he installed for me. I gather that they took the fibreglass moulds directly off an original car.

Hmm, driving down to PA is a loooong way from western Canada. But who knows, one day?

Cheers

Noel

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Very pretty car.  Mine was originally Chevette powered.  It does still have Chevette front and rear suspension.  I am curious as to what suspension your car has.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Noels, congratulations! Your car looks terrific and just wait until you drive it. People in other vehicles literally hang out of their windows to video you going past.

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Your car looks terrific and just wait until you drive it. People in other vehicles literally hang out of their windows to video you going past.

You’ll also have to answer silly questions like,”Is that a REAL car?”

Amor Conquista Todo

Noel Swanson
    Participant

@noels

I can’t give you the details on the suspension at the moment, as I am not there.  Later on I will get my ex-mechanic friend to have a look. No doubt he can tell us.

You’ll also have to answer silly questions like,”Is that a REAL car?”

Well, that is a real existential question indeed. Just what is a ‘real’ car. I bet many ‘muscle’ car owners would turn their noses up at most ordinary cars as not being ‘real’ cars!

Noel

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.