vin numbers

Home Forums General Discussion vin numbers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Today I decided to search my vin number. I took the vin number off the title . It was a 2 letter 5 digit number and entered it in a NEW YORK STATE DMV vin search . My results were that it had to be a 17 digit number . I didn’t have trouble with the number when registering it . Does anybody have any thoughts on this.       

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Car manufacturer’s must use a federally mandated 17 digit VIN. This is consistent among all makes designating make, model, engine, year, and build sequence. Our kits are rather irrelevant in that most are classified as reconstructed or specialty vehicles and those rules do not apply. It would be along the lines of the Johnny Cash tune “One Piece at a Time”.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

greg press wrote:
    Today I decided to search my vin number. I took the vin number off the title . It was a 2 letter 5 digit number and entered it in a NEW YORK STATE DMV vin search . My results were that it had to be a 17 digit number . I didn’t have trouble with the number when registering it . Does anybody have any thoughts on this.       
    hmm?  Greg
     i have a London Roadster and have 17 digits

Have you checked the Vin number itself..mine is under the seat on the middle hump
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

That short VIN number is frequently used for “home-built  or “reconstructed” vehicles. 

States title these things differently — some title them using the OEM VW VIN number, if it’s a VW TDr.  If it is a Ford or Chevy based kit, it would most likely be titled as a home-built or custom … Factory built kits likely are titled as customs, also using a shorter VIN number.

It varies from state to state, as do the restrictions placed on “home-built” or “custom” — some states require that a state trooper inspect the vehicle before it can be titled, while some don’t.  

Mine was registered as the original VW donor, and I didn’t bother trying to change it…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Using the vin number from any other car would be tubae in many states.  Say you’re using the vin number from a VW.  Clearly this new car doesn’t represent that VW model.

I know in MA you could get in hot water for using a vin number that doesn’t represent the actual car.  I titled my car in MA with a vin something like MA2349.  Then did a title transfer to NH using the new MA vin number.

Of course some states are more tolerant then others.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Here is a link to the Specialty Equipment Manufacturer’s Association (SEMA) “toolbox” that lists the titling and inspection laws for every state:

As previously stated, the laws vary significantly from state to state.  Many states allow you to title the frame/running gear (ala VW TDr) regardless of what kind of body is on the car…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.