VW floor pan

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits VW floor pan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jim Hine
    Participant

@jimeh

A couple of months ago I bought a n MG TD Fiber -fab VW body shell and recently purchased the corresponding  VW pan Assy. When I received the floor pan assembly it was as advertised and the new pans were welded in. They are brand new but during delivery (via a tow dolly)  the weld broke on the front left section where it intersects the stamped rail that was original from the VW T bone. The weld was not adequate and now I have a wobbly section that has broken away.

In other words I have a floor pan that sets on top of the front and rear left hand side of the ‘crossmembers’ that was welded poorly.  They are not completely loose but they have to be welded and reinforced. There is no ‘land’ or metal under the floor pan section just the resting point on the crossmember and the point where it comes in contact with the ‘tunnel’ section of the original pan. If the correct welding is done over will this be sufficient to support the body and whatever else goes on the pan? Is there a preferred method of attachment for the installation of the new stamped floor pan i.e. cross member support or any other recommendation out there.

I am looking at the pan for the first time and on the right side the welds seem adequate as I can stand on the floor pan and from appearance it seems sound but relying on appearance usually gets one in trouble. While I have the time and open space on the pan I intend to contact a local weld shop for corrections but what is the method for reinforcing  that others may have all ready used? Other than common sense and the ability for a good welder to recognize  what would be needed by using right angle supports or similar material does anyone have any ideas or experience they can offer?

Jimeh    new registrant and project builder 10-18-04

Frank
    Participant

@frankied

That?s a good question. I for one have never replace floor pans but I?m sure Roxie will need them someday.  I did some Google searching to see if anyone had written a ?how to?. I came up with several site where people talked about replacing their pans during a resto project but no one gave details. One suggestion that came up several times is check out the ?Bug Me Video? . From what I have read, they did a detail step by step on floor pan replacement.

I do think your on the right track with having a Pro Welder re-weld the welds from the PO (previous owner). I rather not think of the pain of getting you car all together and having the ? a floor pan drop out while on the road. Disassembling something you just finished assembling could be a real let down.

Good luck with your project and keep up posted on your progress.

Frank
    Participant

@frankied

http://www.acvw.com/article.asp?DetailID=27

I found this HOW To on floor pans check it out it might help you

Jim Hine
    Participant

@jimeh

Thanks for the updates. I appreciate the article. I purchased a VW magazine and it has the “bug me” site listed for installation of floor pans. I may purchase the tape or when I have a chance I am going to have the local welder look and see what can be done. Since the pans are just welded in obviously they have attachment points and the current welds are just not done properly. with some cleaning and re-welding I am sure I can regain stability and strength. Thanks, I will advise my progress as I go along. It will probably be well into the 1st quarter of 05 before I get going on the rebuild. Thanks, Jim Hine interested member for the new site and features added. Thanks for setting up new site and all of the new additions.

Jim Hine
    Participant

@jimeh

Brian,thanks for the info and update. The pan I have is done with the improvements. new metal, rebuilt steering, new gas shocks, POR used on pan for rust proofing etc., No brakes yet…. but it is a swing axle. I will think it over and possibly sell the pan and look for IRS version. Still curious if anyone else has used older swing axle style pan on their project? Jimeh

Brian
    Participant

@ssa84whales

There is a 1977 VW Beetle chasis with IRS for sale at

http://www.kitcars.com for about $500, if you are interested.ssa84whales38294.4414583333

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘VW floor pan’ is closed to new replies.