where's the ign switch?

Home Forums General Discussion where's the ign switch?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

I am working on my wiring. I have accumulated all of the switches and connectors i need (maybe). I am looking at this wiring diag from Samba but I do not see the ign switch. Everything seems to run through the light switch? I wonder how you start the car. Are my eyes deceiving me?

In wine there is truth, in water health.

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Found it. It seems to be part of the steering wheel wiring?

Derek
    Participant

@nobody

Yes that is correct, on the beetle the ignition switch is part of the steering column. You should still be able to trace it and wire it how you will. 

That actually looks like a Type 3 wiring diagram to me. 
    Here is a link for a 69-71 beetle diagram.
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Nobody wrote:
    Yes that is correct, on the beetle the ignition switch is part of the steering column. You should still be able to trace it and wire it how you will. 

That actually looks like a Type 3 wiring diagram to me. 
    Here is a link for a 69-71 beetle diagram.

Beginning with 1968 models. Prior to that, the ignition switch was located on the dashboard. Some kit build manuals recommend using a 1967 or earlier steering column, so you can more closely replicate the original TD.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Anonymous
    Inactive

Numbers on VW switches flasher unit etc. correspond to wiring  diagram. You can follow diagram and wire switches from the numbers on the switch.

Pre 1968 steering columns are simple compared to later ones . But later ones have built in steering lock and dimmer switch, and ignition switch.

Kit wiring diagram is pretty good if you follow wires one at a time to were they go. VW Diagram is good if you wire the car with same color code VW used. Then it is easy to trouble shoot if there is a problem. Either way you wire it if you spend time wiring it good the first time you know were everything is.

A friend who is a pro mechanic , has own shop and has a Cobra that he built says you should not use crimp connectors but solder wiring connectors . He also says to use shrink tubing over the connectors. He did say soldering joints are harder to do but stated less problems with soldered connections.

i

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I built my Duchess in 1982. All connections I had to make were done with crimped connectors.

I’ve never had a loose connection.

I’m not saying your mechanic is wrong. I fully agree soldered/imsulated connections are better.

I’m just sayin’ I’m going on 33 years with no problems

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I agree with Paul. Built in ’89.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Steve Struchen
    Participant

@mustang_evets

Look up the following on Amazon to get a crimper that makes tight connections:

S&G Tool Aid 18900 Professional Ratcheting Terminal Crimper

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Steve’s right.  Failed crimp-ons are almost always because of poorly installed crimp-ons.  You don’t want one of those 99 cent specials like those in the bin at the check-out counter of your local grocery store.  Get a good tool.  ….and practice on a few pieces of wire before you get upside down under your dash. 

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Ditto on Eliza Jane. Ive never had a problem with crimp on connectors. I also removed my old VW teering colum and used an ignition switch from socal speed shop and mounted them on the dashes.

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I really appreciate it. I was planning on soldering my connections as much as possible. I will want some quick disconnects for some of the connections but by and large I will solder.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Just got my new S&G Professional Ratcheting Terminal Crimpers. Works really slick and makes a very strong crimp. My old pair worked okay but have been used extensively and are  um let’s say aged. Yeah…like me…Aged! 
    newkitman2015-03-08 20:48:05

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Like a fine wine Allen!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Here Here! I’ll raise a glass to that!

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

I drink to anything! 😆

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Rick, I like your thinking.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.