Windshield

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Windshield

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jim Langan
    Participant

@langan

Saw somewhere a DIY on how to install stock TD windshield on a Fiberfab? Does anyone know the link?
    langan2016-01-19 20:38:58

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Hey Langan, I looked up on google for a Windsheild/Glass company, and they cut me a new flat autoglass windshield. They installed it in my orginal Dutchess TDr frame, all for about $150. Just a thought. I also purchased on line from a Dune Buggy web site, new rubber gaskets and the frame to car car molding. I do not remember the cost for the new rubber, but not that expensive.

Dave

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Jim Langan
    Participant

@langan

Thanks but I ment where the guy reworked the fiberglass on cowl so original mg td posts would fit. The Fiberfab is square and TD is round he shows how to cut fiberglass and reglass to fitlangan2016-01-19 22:41:57

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

You just cut off the squared-off part and clean behind it, then stick some aluminum tape on the back side and glass over the holes you made from the outside. Peel the tape off after the first layer or two and glass the back (or just leave the tape there and glass out past it an inch or so), then glass the outside again and shape it with 80-grit. When you’re close to the right shape, use Bondo or similar to get closer, and then spot putty for the pinholes and small imperfections. Prime and paint.

If you’re ambitious (or paranoid), cut you a piece of 16 or 18-gauge steel sheet, 4 x 6 inches or so, shape it to the curve of the inside of the scuttle where the posts will go, and glass that in to reinforce the area.

This whole operation will take you about 3x as long as you expect. If you’re done sooner it means it’s not good ehough yet. Body workers use a bit of rattle-can glossy paint to check their work as they go for smoothness, flatness, etc. Hit it with some paint and look at it in daylight, and with light from many angles, and keep working it until it’s a nice smooth curve that blends in seamlessly. BUT:
    Do not start this project before you have a complete and useable TD windshield kit. And measure it all 30 times first to make sure it will fit. 

edsnova2016-01-20 08:08:36

Jim Langan
    Participant

@langan

Thank you very much

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Thanks Ed! You beat me to the punch.

Langan…the most critical sentences in Ed’s post are the last two. 

The cowl on your TDr may not be the same width as the cowl on an original TD. If it’s not, the job will entail far more than just rounding off the corners to match the curve on the frame.
    Ed said don’t start the project until you have a complete TD frame. 
    I would say don’t even invest in a TD frame until you know have double and triple checked the measurements and know it will fit.

PMOSSBERG2016-01-20 09:58:44

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Jim Langan
    Participant

@langan

I am hoping it is the same I just bought complete windshield for 500 and still needs about 200 from Moss. So worst case I ajust windshield frame if shorter rubber seal ok if longer I buy two.
    In the article I am looking for described same method of glass work I was hoping it told what kit. I won’t be home for two more weeks so just building in my head. Thanks

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Langan, will try to find the thread.

But it probably won’t matter what kit the owner was working on. Just about all replica TD cowls have the squared off corners. As Ed said, hack ’em off and apply new ‘glass to match the correct profile.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Some previous discussion on the subject, with measurements.

It was my impression (and I can’t remember how I learned this, but I am pretty sure) that the BCW windscreen is slightly narrower than the original TD.
    Here’s a link to a measurement of just the glass from a TD. Looks like 41 inches. So mine would appear to be closer to “stock” than I recalled.

edsnova2016-01-21 20:39:14

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I can’t believe I didn’t think about this until now. But there is another major issue to consider if you want to switch to an original TD windshield frame.

Your TDr roof and side curtains will not work with an original frame. And I’m not sure if they can be made to work.

Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm. I just want you to go into this as well informed as possible.

Paul Mossberg

Jim Langan
    Participant

@langan

Thanks…thinking I also want to do Original type roof may be custom. If project come out well it will be worth it.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

The original top stays are pretty simple and Moss sells them (90a–$6). You just embed the sockets in a piece of hardwood, 2 x 5/4 or so, and wrap that in the canvas. You then just need two thumb screws to hold the front bow to the windshield pins. 

To use the zip-in side curtains just have your top maker put the zipper along the sides of the top. I’d recommend this even if you want to mess with the original style side curtain frames. Those are mostly flat stock. No point in paying $1,000+ to Moss for them, since they won’t fit anyway. I’d guess six 6-foot bars of this would probably be enough to make four TD side curtain frames. $24, plus shipping–so call it $35.
    Jim Langan
    Participant

@langan

Great info thanks

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Ed,

That link to http://WWW.ONLINEMETALS.COM is a GREAT reference for anyone needing metal to build/patch/fix stuff — but a lot of people may not click on it in the post so I thought I’d highlight it for folk’s future reference….
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks, Jack. I have ordered from them a couple times. I suspect it’s cheaper if you can pick up stuff locally, and way cheaper to go pick stuff from a scrapper or metal recycling outfit, but you can’t beat the convenience. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Another thing to consider going to a real MG windshield frame is the VW wipers are cowl mounted. MG wipers are mounted on windshield frame. Folding wind shield is nice but VW wipers get in way of folding windshield.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

True that the cowl mounted VW wipers look like they could interfere, but mine are comfortable under the windshield when folded.  No problem.  (Daytona MIGI with brackets that I modified.) 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yeah, the folding windshield works fine with cowl-mounted wipers. The TF had that setup.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I did not find an entire thread.

But dougsgarage posted a couple pictures of his cowl modifications in these threads: 
    Here are the pictures he posted:

PMOSSBERG2016-01-26 18:19:29

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.