Worth a Look

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Found this listing on everyone’s favorite this morning.
    It looks nice, and worth a look.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replica-Kit-Makes-Coupe-two-door-MGTD-/172165400159?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2815db865f:g:Pw8AAOSwJQdXDPu5&item=172165400159
    It does have a minimum bid.
    Nice wheels and cool steering wheel.

Amor Conquista Todo

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Nice car.

I message the seller. He has the original Classic Roadsters Duchess Front engine assembly manual. Figured it was worth asking if he/she would scan it and send it to us.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

The car is in New Bern…..Roy or Happy Jack do you know anything about it?

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Yep, I looked at it about 6 months ago. Not far from being real nice. Runs well. I did not take for a ride. The dash is ugly and needs rework. See that black thing behind the rear wheel in the first photo?  That’s the fuel tank, definitely not from Duchess.  I wouldn’t dare drive it anywhere.  Very poor rig.  This is why he states that he has a keg type tank from a boat going with the sale.  The top was not mounted or fitted when I looked at it.  Nice wheels.  Upholstery nice.   Gauges all worked I think.  Engine and compartment was dirty. 

A nice car.  But should be bought by someone who likes to tinker.  I’m pretty sure that he was wanting 6k (maybe 7k) for it. 

Now I’m going to stick my neck out here and say that I think that the Duchess is #3 in my unofficial TDr rankings.  (Allison and BCW tied for 1st.) 

(I would be interested but today I bought my wife a Classic Austin Rover Mini.  Itsy bitsy.  Old school.  1984.)

Royal2016-04-13 19:23:19

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Nice looking car but what is the seller’s first language? English sure ain’t it.

T. J. Marrone
    Participant

@tjmarrone

and this matters why?

T. J. Marrone
    Participant

@tjmarrone

Ain’t  is not in the english dictionary either

T. J. Marrone
    Participant

@tjmarrone

Royal, loved my ’92 mini they are wonderful cars, enjoy.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Had a mini cooper when I was stationed in England. It was sort of the squadron’s car because each time the owner shipped out they sold it only to someone in our squadron. Cool little car that I drove the little wheels off. Sold it to another technical sergeant when I shipped back to the states.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I remember that rhyme from when I was a kid, “Ain’t ain’t a word, and it ain’t in the dictionary.”

But actually….
    It is both.
    Oxford (of course with the disclaimer that it should not be used in a formal context and is should not be part of “standard English”)

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

I emailed the guy and he wants 45K for it. Probably means ($4,500). NC has a 7 % sales tax, but he said if he got cash, he would fudge on the sales price for title xter. It has passed all recent NC State MV Inspections. I thought it might be a nice 2nd car, when I visit my daughter in Cary, NC, form where I live in FL. The new top, side curtains and Wire Wheels cost about half what he wants for it. I have a Classic Roadster Duchess that I drive year round in Lakeland, FL. The last I checked, the current bid was about $3500.

Dave

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

davearoy wrote:
    I emailed the guy and he wants 45K for it. Probably means ($4,500).

Dave

I got the same email. He said $1.00 over reserve would buy it, so I take it $4501 and it’s yours. Current bid is up to $4250.
    The wonky gas tank alone is enough to make me think twice.(actually not needing a second TDr, living in Illinois, not having storage space, added yearly licensing, insurance fees, etc. made me think twice…:lol:)

Amor Conquista Todo

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Here’s another one I found while perusing the potentials out there. I think it may be a FiberFab.
    Someone might be interested. From the name of the website, they may be open for offers.
    http:////www.allcollectorcars.com/for-sale/1952-MG-TD/1528229/

Amor Conquista Todo

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.