Chevette rear coil spring isolators

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Chevette rear coil spring isolators

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John McDermon
    Participant

@hawk521

Am hoping to replace the rear coil spring isolator bushings (top and bottom).  The springs appear to be in great shape.  Can anyone out there point me to a source for either rubber or poly spring isolators? 

My CMC based TD sits about 1/2 inch low on the driver side.  Not real noticable, but it bothers me enough that I’m trying to figure out a solution. Turns out the rear driver side spring had a badly worn, dry rotted isolator on the top and only a thin piece of rubber (doesn’t look like a correct piece) on the lower end.  Would like to put it back to correct specs if I can find the right stuff.  In its current condition the rear suspension is noisy as it rides over bumpy terrain.

Thanks for any insight.

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Hawk

I’m not sure of the diameter of our Chevette springs, but maybe these could work.  If not, it looks like the company has other sizes.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Energy-Suspension/355/9-6101G/10002/-1

Good luck, let us know what you end up with, I’m sure I need to replace mine.

Ringo

John McDermon
    Participant

@hawk521

Thanks Ringo,  I’ve emailed Jegs to see if they have info on which size I need to order.  Worst case I’ll pull mine again and measure them like I should have done last time!  🙂

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

John, did you already try Rick Drake?

If not, MOOG makes various sized isolators and Eaton-Detroit Spring may have them or know a source/part number. http://www.eatonsprings.com/

Sometimes a piece of heater hose slipped on to about 5 or 6 inches of the coil end will work too. Fox Body Mustangs have this set up in front.

Ringo’s suggestion of Energy Suspension will get you a quality product if they have the ID you need.

Pink MG40100.6143055556

John McDermon
    Participant

@hawk521

Thanks Mark – good info.

I’ve not bothered our friend Rick Drake on this one.  He’s done so much for me that I’m trying to handle it myself.  A buddy at work brought me a pair of spring isolators from a 4 cyl Mustang that visually look like they may fit.  I’ll have to pull the spring again (I had put it back together in a rush so the wife could drive the car and forgot to measure it while I had it out.)

Not a big deal either way.  And I do have a bit of left over heater hose of various sizes that could be put to use!  Good thinking.  🙂

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Most American car coil are several standard ID’s too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.