Home Forums General Discussion insurance

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • #233434
    terry gentry


    I’ve got a  TD coming next week.  What should I do about insurance?

    Thanks for your help

    edward ericson


    Call your regular car insurance person and tell them what’s up. Sometimes they actually know about this stuff; sometimes they’ll actually put a rider on your existing policy for the new toy. Mostly not, though.

    Specialty car insurance from companies like Hagerty, Grundy, or others fill in the gap. Call some of them next and tell them what you’re getting and how much you’re paying for the car, see what they say. Most of these policies are “stated value,” meaning there’s no appraisal. Some companies have a minimum value of, say $10,000 so that might impinge on us. Mine’s insured for $5k through Grundy & it’s $100 a year.

    They’ll also want to know how many miles you intend to put on it each year, and it’s not worth lowballing that either. Sometimes they’ll only insure a car that’s going to get a special registration like “Historic” or “Street Rod” that automatically caps miles driven and circumstances during which the car will be used (1,000 miles, say, used only for parades and shows).

    Any way you handle it, it shouldn’t be too tough or too expensive. Some of the guys rocking $50,000 Speedsters with no-limit mileage riders pay $500. That’s probably about the max.

    Be sure and post photos of your new TD, and happy cruising!

    Montie Henderson


    My insurance is with my reg agent at State Farm.   They had me get it appraised (about $100 for the appraisal) it’s then insured for flat amount, about $250 a year.   Mileage limited to 5000 to 10000 per year.   

    Paul Mossberg



    Read this thread: W=insurance

    Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

    If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

    terry gentry


    Thanks for the help ya’ll.  I’m sure these posts will help a ton.




     You might want to check out “Heacock” collector car insurance

    1-866-203-1723 or

    Also you might want to check out “Britishmotoring”(Moss Motors)

    ( ,spring 2011 catolog their is a feature on clasic car insurance. Wink



Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.