Noob questions — Round Two!

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Noob questions — Round Two!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Since it looks like I’m zeroing in on a FiberFab VW-based car (even have a “back-up” plan identified, should choice #1  fall through), it’s time for the next round of noob questions.

1.  Tires: What type/brand/size of radials are VW owners using? I’m looking at 185R-65/15s which seem to be about the same height, and only slightly wider, but will still fit the stock VW wheels.  There’s many more choices there than with the stock 165-15 VW size.  Do you think I’ll have any interference problems?

2. Any specific tire recommendations — either to avoid or to buy?  Tried searching but found no real discussion of this…

3.  What lapbelts are you using?  Neither kit that I’m looking at has lapbelts. I doubt there’s enough room for retracting lapbelts, but if anyone has found a way to do that, I’d like to hear about that also…

Thanks for the patience and the help!

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I have 185R-65/15s on my Duchess. I don’t recall the brand, but will check. Your options are pretty limited in this size.

I have non-retracting lap belts. They came with my kit; I don’t know the brand. To be honest, they are pretty much for show. They hold my butt in place during spirited drving. But they bolt through huge washers which sandwich the fiberglass body between them. In the event of a real wreck, I’m pretty sure they would tear right through the fiberglass. I rationalize it pretty easily tho. If the accident is that bad, the car is gonna crumple. And I’m toast with or without belts. Dead

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

730-3082  NAPA part#…as Paul said, if there’s room

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

My lap belts are bolted to the tunnel and a ridge in the metal floor pan. Threaded holes–possibly originally for the VW back seat belts?

Maybe a little better than just through fiberglass but Paul’s analysis applies to all of these cars. Don’t crash.

Mine are really old, maybe original to the build. I might splurge on new ones, maybe upgrade to the 3-inch web and aircraft latches…

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

MG logo seat belt

ray102013-03-06 17:19:24

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

My set is like ray10s only red to match the color of my car. I plan on attaching them to the tunnel and a body-to-pan bolt at the body rear attach points.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Yeah, I don’t think blue would work well on a red car with white interior, either… Wink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

But, those NAPA retracting ones are interesting, once I see how much space I have to play with…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Wonder if there is enough belt to come from behind the seat and up and over the shoulder to the attachment? If not then the regular ones we have will have to suffice. And I’m not certain that the original TDs had a seat belt requirement back then.

Allen Caron

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Allen, no seat belts on originals.  

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

When i was looking at changing the seat belts on mine , they told me I could get them in any color I wanted the price went up on special orders .Disapprove

Allen their were some cars that had a seat belt that went thu a loop on top of the seats by the head rest and down to the floor . I can’t remember which ones they were but you might try a wrecking yard for some?

ray102013-03-06 21:13:09

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Yep! I know which one…my 74 Ghia had those.  Big smile

Allen Caron

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.