VA Beach 2014

Home Forums General Discussion Clubs and Show VA Beach 2014

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

It’s scheduled…

11:00am

“Air & Auto Classic” – Porsche Club of America (First Settlers Region) Annual Meet
    When
    Sat, October 18, 2014, 11am ??? 4pm
    Where
    Military Aviation Museum, Princess Anne Road, Virginia Beach, VA, United States (map)
    Description
    Air & Auto Classic, 2014:

Piston-powered engines on the road and on the runway, in a day of high-performance motoring at its finest!

The Porsche Club of America (PCA), First Settlers Region (FSR), will host its annual meet at the MAM, from 11:00am to 4:00pm, 18 October, 2014.

All makes and models are welcome! Dozens of beautiful cars will be on display. Show car registration is $25.00 per vehicle. Rock Star parking is $50.00 per vehicle (online registration only). Proceeds benefit the SPCA and the Foodbank of Virginia.

Spectator parking is $15.00 per vehicle:
    – Free access to the MAM.
    – A unique opportunity to review a large display of fine foreign and domestic motorcars, including rallye, racing, rods and restorations.

http://www.fsrpca.org/
    more details» copy to my calendar

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hmmm…PCA FSR annual meet. Tempted to drive the Intermeccanica and see how it is received.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I think they’ll like it fine. It’d be great to put it next to the “real” Vert “D” and compare notes.

edsnova2014-02-19 22:56:10

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Compare…

PMOSSBERG2014-02-20 12:45:39

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I like yours better! Nothing beats a beauty in a black dress. 
    And the chrome makes yours stand out more. And the silver one does not have side view mirrors.
    And I could go on more… 

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

In those two photos, Paul, yours makes the silver car pale in comparison.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Thanks Bill. Wait ’til you see her in person!

Paul Mossberg

Royal
    Participant

@royal

The owner of the Military Air Museum is a friend of my son’s.   And I’m trying to set up a super duper TDr photo shoot at the show this year.  (Not that there was anything wrong with last year’s group shot.)

Who is going to try and attend?
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

Last year I arranged lodging.  I think it worked just as well and better in some cases for each attendee to arrange his own.  So, 

For the first 2 years we attended, we stayed at the Oceanfront Inn, on Atlantic Avenue.  I suggest that we go there unless there is strong objection.  Their phone # is 757 422 0455.
    For anyone who has not been before, we all have been arriving at the hotel on Friday afternoon. Compare notes about the trip, drool over Ed’s new water cooled Subi-BCW, and Jack’s Stump-puller 200hp VW-BCW.  All walk to dinner across the street.
    Sat am: gather for breakfast at the Inn’s restaurant and all head out en masse to the show grounds.  
    After the show on Sat, we all seemed to like a hole-in-the-wall restaurant that is a long standing favorite with VaBch locals.  (Also across the street, kinda.)
    Sunday: breakfast and head home.
    Any or all of this could change depending on the wishes of the group.
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Roy
    I plan to be there – hopefully not last minute this year.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Another note:  For the show, make sure they know you are in the TDr group and sign up for “Rock Star” parking.  

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Looking forward to seeing you all again. I have all the caravan connections loaded on my GPS App. If those connections work for everyone, it would make for another nice easy trip.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’ll make it if my car can. Still iffy on it. Stand by.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

My TD won’t be finished by then BUT…if I can talk the other fella in town with the White TD with Black fenders in attending we’ll come as a duo. If not, I’ll see if he’ll let me tow the car there. Maybe talk Linda into coming along and I’ll pick up Roy’s wheels and tires. I’ll know more next week and let you know.
    newkitman2014-08-02 19:29:57

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Sounds good.  I, and I think Jack too, plan on driving my TDr up on Friday.  It’s about 3-1/2 hrs.  Julie is not coming  this year.  Thursday room & board at the Hendrix house are free.  Royal2014-08-03 09:19:26

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Just made reservations at the Oceanfront…Friday, Oct 17-Sunday, Oct19.

Can’t wait.Thumbs Up

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I made a mistake on the Oceanfront Inn’s phone # above.  Either OA, or dyslexia, or typo – take your pick.  Sorry.

THE CORRECT # IS:  757 422 0445.
    I’m also in at the Oceanfront for the 17 & 18th.  So far, we have:
    Roy
    Bill
    Ed
    Dale
    Jack
    Allen (with TDr?)
    Sure would be great if we could get some new faces like Oak Island John or Raleigh Sam, or any of the others within shoutin’ distance.  Last year Paul drove all the way from an hour or so above Philly.  Quite a testament to both the mechanical condition of his TDr as well as his personal resolve.
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Ed, I’m working on Emma almost as hard as you are working on Bridget in trying to get her ready for her debut trip to Va Beach this year.

I FINALLY — i hope — got the “oil spraying out of the back of the car” problem as well as the “can’t get gas into #3 cylinder problem solved.  When last she ran, #3 cylinder temperature was running at 180 when the oil temp was showing 180 — and puling #3 plug wire made no difference in rpm’s of the engine — a sure sign that the Dellorto carb barrel feeding #3 was clogged.  I drained the tank, replaced the fuel filter between the tank and the electric fuel pump, installed a fuel pressure gauge and regulator, and changed out the rubber fuel line that runs from front to back (PO bypassed the dinky hard steel fuel line and ran rubber hose instead. And cleaned out debris from the carb
    As to the oil spray, replacing the “broken” Sand Seal on the crank pulley seems to have done the trick….
    So yesterday, I invited Royal over for the 1st firing up of Emma since the repairs.  He suggested pulling the center wire off of the dist. cap and cranking the engine to make sure I had oil pressure (had the oil pump out to get to the cam shaft end to read the part number to figure out what cam the PO had installed in Emma)
    Well, I pulled out the Start knob, the engine cranked — and NO oil pressure.  Pulled the oil pressure sender and squirted oil into the hole to “prime the oil galleries. Pulled the start, and still no oil pressure.
    Then it dawned on me — electric oil pressure meter — starter works without the key being turned on — and voila — oil pressure reading on the meter once I turned the ignition key to “run”
    So Va Beach this year it’s looking much more promising.  The jury is still out as to whether I drive or wimp out and tow the 3 1/2 hours from here to the car show.  I whined to Roy that I have no heat in this car (J-tubes instead) and Roy said “get over it, be a MAN, wear 2 pairs of socks and gloves, and tow the thing….we’ll see.
    Hope to see lots of fine TDr’s in Va Beach this year.  And really looking forward to seeing and hearing the SOOB as well as Paul’s “new” ride.  Today is “adjust the left-side Dellorts and then test drive” day if the rain holds off.  But no more “73 in a 50” The next cop may not be as forgiving as the last one was when I tell him “but officer, I could not see the speedometer because the big Flat four steering wheel is in the way…”
    Jack 
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I think your car running on three cylinders is probably faster than mine.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I am now registered…Rock Star Parking…Who’s next?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Hi Roy, 

Good hearing from you.  We’ll be on the flight line like last year.  So should be able to demo the new engines.  Let me think about what we could offer – to entice the other guys 🙂  Will also forward a flyer as soon as I have them done.  One new thing is that the Tidewater Sail Plane club will be there.  Weather permitting they will be doing demo flights.  Of course there are Vintage plane rides offered by the Museum.  

Thanks!
    Sam

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Royal F Hendrix wrote:
    Sam,
    Yep, we’ll be there.  Last year we had 7 cars, but for some reason (so far) I have only been able to get 5 to commit so far this year.  All are 1952 MGTD’s.  I call them TDr’s (the “r” is for replica).

So far:

Myself, Roy Hendrix, white, 3rd year, driving up from New Bern, NC
    Ed Ericssen, red, 3rd year, just repowered with a Subaru engine. A very big job.  Driving from MD.
    Bill Asheman, 3rd yr, two tone Brown, he’s just repainted, driving from Pennsylvania
    Dale Schumacher, 3rd yr, bright red, driving from just south of DC.
    Jack Breza, 2nd year, red, in a different TDr this year, with a highly modified 200hp VW engine.  Also from New       Bern.

Is there a short stretch of pavement where Ed & Jack can demo their new engines?

There are another 10 or so TDr’s that are closer than Bill, but haven’t been able to pull them away from their TV sets.  Any ideas?

It’ll be fun,
    Roy
    Royal2014-08-23 17:33:59

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey all,

I just got my room reservation — the hotel is offering a Fall Getaway rate that includes oceanfront room with balcony and breakfast at their restaurant for $80.90 + tax……
    …still have not been shamed into driving Emma up — not confident enough in the 2332…plus as I’ve whined before– no heater just j-tubes —
    See ya all at the Air and Auto Classic Oct 18th — my birthday…..!!!!!
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Guys
    Not looking good for me making this trip – looks like we are going to celebrate my Mom’s 90th and have family coming in for the whole week.
    Sorry to say but it looks like I am out till next year.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Darn it! Down to 3 (if I go). Schu, now you’ve got me re-thinking my plans. I really was going to meet up with all my TDr buddies, but if Bill (I see HappyJack almost every day) is the only one going, maybe I’ll just wait til Carlisle.

Think…..think….pause…think…

Decision: Bill, I hate to do it, but I’m out also. I love you, but not $300+/-worth that I budgeted for the show. Sorry.

…and I almost had Jack shamed into driving vs towing.

Maybe next year???

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Me to…. I will probably celebrate my birthday at home this year…VIVA Carlisle in 2015!!!!

Happy Jack (a little sad to not see you all until Carlisle)
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.