Wires on windshield wiper motor

Home Forums General Discussion Wires on windshield wiper motor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bill Stuck
    Participant

@billsflorida

I am working through the car that I bought piece by piece and I will say that it seams like to PO did a fine job.  The VW windshield wiper structure (including the motor) seams to be just what the instructions says to get.  It fits fine.   I do not know how to know which wire is which — So I do not know how to hook up the Ground, High and Low  wires from the Chevette harness.    

There are  4 wires comimg out of the end of the VW  motor harness going into a VW unique connector  ( Green, Black with light colored rings every 3/4 ( not a stripe) , Black with white stripe and Black). Additionally there is a loose brown wire ending in a standard bayonet type female connector.   On the other side of the main connector  three of the wires have the same colors — but the unusual one is connected to a Black wire with a yellow stripe.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi BIll,

I think I will be able to help…once I get home. My daughter has a volleyball tournament at Penn State this weekend.

If no one has replied by then, I will check my schematics when I get home Monday evening.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Bill,I looked at both of my cars and one uses the VW harness leading from the wiper motor but the wires then go into a well taped harness and I could not trace them any farther.

The Chevette based car has the VW harness removed from the wiper motor and individual wires attached [pluged in] to what appear to be spade connectors on the wiper motor. Three of the connectors are in a row and the wire attached to the terminal  fartherest away from the motor end of the assembly and toward the right side of the car is HOT when the IGN switch is ON . The ground wire is connected to a terminal by itself not in the row with the HOT terminal.  Two additional wires plug in to spades in the row with the HOT wire, I am guessing that they are the hi and lo wires.

I blew the wiper fuse when my test light probe accidently contacted a ground while the IGN switch was on so I know the circuit is protected and coming from the correct location on the fuse panel.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Bill,

Here are the instructions from Classic Roadsters’ assembly manual for a 1969 to 1971 VW wiper motor. CR assumes the VW wiring harness is gone. Btu if you track your wires back to the connections on the wiper motor, you should see the numbered terminals mentioned in the instructions.

Cut 16″ of 14 gauge Black wire and secure a female slide connector to each end. connect this wire to #53 on the wiper motor with a piggyback connector. Connect other end of this wire to the two position wiper switch.

The correct switch terminal is opposite the terminal marked “battery”.

Cut 2″ of 16 gauge Black wire and attach two female slide connectors. Attach this jumper to the piggyback terminal at #53 on wiper motor and attach the other end to 53a on the wiper motor.(Low speed is now connected).

Cut 16″ of 16 Gauge White wire and attache a female slide connector to one end and a small ring to the other end. Connect the slide connector of this wire to 53b on the wiper motor and the ring terminal to the “head” terminal on the switch. (High speed is now connected).

Cut an 8″ piece of16 Gauge Brown wire and attache a female slide connector to one end. Locate the ground wire for the radio and connect this ground to the open end of teh 8″ wire with a Scotch lock (or other splice connector). Connect the female slide to #31 on the wiper motor.

Note: The last step could be to any good ground. Classic Roadsters used the radio ground because it was the closest one in the dash wiring harness.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Paul,  Thanks for a detailed set of instructions. My VW based car only uses a ”on -off” switch and the wipers only run one speed.They left the VW harness attached to the motor and spliced additional wires to it to connect to the switch. They are well wrapped with electrical tape to form a harness.        &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;  

Bill,  Hope you got my private message from last nightI  still struggle with that part of the forum . Incase I did not make it clear, my BCW uses the Chevette wiper switch controled by the ”multi-function lever” on the steering column. It is very hard to see all the wires and just how they connect since they are on the back side of the motor but Paul’s instructions make it clear that the VW harness can be removed from the motor allowing the motor to be wired  from scratch.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.