Fiberfab – steering box replacement. How?

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Fiberfab – steering box replacement. How?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andy Krishak
    Participant

@andk5591

Getting ready to tear into a Fiberfab for a customer.  Steering box had been “adjusted” over the years by the owners kids and its a mess.  Going to just replace it.  What all needs to come off to get to it?  The way it looks is that there is not enough room for it to lift up to clear the body.  If there is a lot of hassle, it may be easier for me to pull the beam and replace it and then reinstall the beam.  Looking for suggestions…Will be tearing into this in the next day or two. I did search, but did not find my answer.   Thanks in advance.

Andy Krishak
    Participant

@andk5591

Turns out it was really easy.  Unbolted the coupler, and dropped the pitman arm.  Removed the clamp.  Gave it a slight twist and pulled it out the side.  About 15 minutes into this and am installing the new box right now.    Ponder this before cutting the body to make adjustments……Technically the steering box can be set up on a bench…

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yep, I was about to say.

Remember when you put the new one in to line it up right-careful with the steering shaft, and to bend over those metal tabs on the clamp nut.

Andy Krishak
    Participant

@andk5591

I have a classic VW Resto shop, so I know what you mean about the tabs.  Only issue I ran into was the adjustement screw was a bit taller than the stock box and was not clearing the body work.  Cut about 3/8″ off and cut a new slot on the top.  Set the toe and drove the hell out of it.  Steering is still a little sensitive and tight, but I had rebuilt the front end on this car 2 years ago (new ball joints, tie rods, etc.) and he has put maybe 20 miles on the car since.  And of course he forgot to put any fuel stabilizer in it when it sat for 2 years  so his kid dicked with the carb adjustments to get it to run a couple months ago. Idle mix screwed the whole way in and idle set at 2000 RPMs……Gonna take the kids screwdrivers away…LOL…. Anyway – thanks and its going home in the next day or two and maybe he will start to drive it…..

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Ah, well-done, Andy. 20 miles in two years? This person is in for some shaming. 🙂 Hopefully he’ll redeem himself now!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Well done Andy!

Hope you’ll stick around. Lots of VW powered TDr’s here. We could certainly use an expert advice!

Also hope you direct the Fiberfab owner our way!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.