frying

Home Forums General Discussion frying

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

While cleaning the engine  removed the coil wires that go to distributor , solenoid and choke when I hooked them back up car won’t start . If you connect the distributor wire to the positive side of coil will it fry  the ignition modular there is a line fuse in it . that I haven’t taken apart .

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

The coil has two connections where smaller wires are either bolted or push-on connected. On one side (terminal #1) is a thin wire (usually green) that goes from the coil to the distributor (or electronic ignition module); on the other side (terminal 15) are wires (usually black) that brings power from the ignition switch; a fused wire to the back-up light switch on the transaxle; a wire to the carburetor cut-off solenoid and from the solenoid to the choke.  If you had the ignition module fuse wired to the same terminal as the choke etc, you might be okay if the fuse blew BEFORE it damaged the ignition module. Let’s think positive.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Greg. I checked my ignition module hookup and what I posted was not correct. I have the Accu-Fire Ignition Module and for mine the instructions say the RED wire from the ignition module connects to the coil positive (+) terminal (#15) and the BLACK wire from the ignition module connects to the coil negative (-) terminal (#1). I still think that if you had an in-line fuse to the module positive terminal you may have escaped damage to the module.  Perhaps Campfire’s system connects different but it unlikely. Hopefully other members will chime on this. Kent. Roy…

Allen Caron

Royal
    Participant

@royal

???   Sorry, not enough information.

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I focused all of my attention on the distributor well guess I overlooked the obvious no power to the coil must be a broken wire I ran a new wire  problem solved . I swear you guys will make me into a VW mechanic some day .

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

When I had my VW Karmann Ghia Club, we had a t-zhirt that read: “Karmann Ghias turn men into mechanics.” The same might be true here. And like Ed says “More fun per dollar ratio.”

Allen Caron

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.