Need a Speedometer for MIGI

Home Forums Site Need a Speedometer for MIGI

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Richard Birch
    Participant

@rmbdmd

Hey folks, First time on Forum. I need a speedometer for the FiberFab MIGI I built in 1980. The original speedometer died. Anyone have a NOS or used  speedometer or any suggestions for a substitute that would work with the VW MIGI chassis? Thanks for your help.

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

Richard

I replaced all of my instruments, including speedometer obtained from Classic Instruments.  At the time, 2011, they sold a adapter for VW, a cable that fit square home in front wheel bearing cap with electronic transducer that interfaced with speedometer.

Stefan
    Participant

@mgaggie

Was showed this site by someone else on the form, they have a bunch of replacement parts:

https://mgmagicclassicmotorparts.com/interior/?page=7

I am not sure if they have a speedometer for the mg replica specifically, but it may be worth a check to see if the ones they have are the right size.

-S

Richard Birch
    Participant

@rmbdmd

Thank you for your help. I check the 2 sites , good places for possible replacement.

Thanks for your help

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hey Richard!

When I did mine, about 10 years ago, I bought a used ’73 Bug Speedometer, a white-face gauge kit, and a chrome bezel, then got a Classic Instruments tach in the 5-inch size to (sort of) match. This of course snowballed into a major dashboard refurb but it ended up pretty good imho and it was a fun project.

Richard Birch
    Participant

@rmbdmd

That looks really nice, that is a good idea replacing with a real VW speedometer

Thanks

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Here’s how it ended up:

Gregg Strain
    Participant

@greggs

I had the same problem with my speedometer and also the oil pressure.  I replaced everything with new VDOs and utilized the cable to transducer conversion that Al mentioned.  The speedometer was way too bouncy and that made the calibration inaccurate. I suspect something else was going on with my cable.  I gave up and purchased the gps receiver from VDO. Rock steady, accurate and comes on almost instantly. Just a thought!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.