Fuel tank sender/float

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Fuel tank sender/float

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike P
    Participant

@mike-p

Does anyone know the correct in fuel tank sender/float used on the London roadster. Mine has an original  regular VW one which of course reads incorrectly.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Mike, there is no reason that a standard VW sender should not work well.  On yours (this is just a guess) the wiper has worn away one or more of the windings.  If you get the standard VW sender that looks like an old fashioned toilet float, it will work well and you can bend the rod that goes between the sender unit and the float such that it reads like you want it to.  Make sure you have a good ground to the tank and the sender.  And of course, good solid electrical connectors throughout.

Be careful.  No smoking.  No sparking.  Disconnect the battery first.  
    Mike P
    Participant

@mike-p

Thanks Roy appreciate your input, I will try bending the arm, windings all look good 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Mike: If you have an aftermarket gauge with a stock VW sender, the two may not be compatible. I ran into that (or the opposite of that–aftermarket sender with a stock gauge) when I redid my car’s dash a couple years back. Learned a lot about ohms. And you can too.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Mike, Ed’s right.  

You may want to check (either with Google or an ohm-meter) that the gauge and the resistance of the sender are compatible.   If you look carefully, the ohm range may be stamped on the sender.  I have two senders that are stamped.  

If you have an ohmmeter, hook it up to the sender on your workbench.  As you move the float up and down, the resistance should gradually change throughout the scale.  
    Mike P
    Participant

@mike-p

Thanks guys appreciate it, yes have meter, will check when I remove it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.