Horn Blowing Problem

Home Forums General Discussion Horn Blowing Problem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

My car got out of the paint shop with a new problem:  Now the horn blows when turning the steering wheel (the wheel also feels like it kind of clicks while turning it).  My previous supposed-expert VW mechanic had converted the car from a button on the dash to using the steering wheel horn button just a few months ago, and it was working fine prior to going to the body shop.  I suspect things got out of alignment when the body shop raised the body a little bit to put in the new welting.

Now it’s back at the mechanic who rewired the car, and he’s good with cars but not that familiar with VWs.  I think the body shop got the steering column misaligned and that it’s causing the horn to achieve a ground and honk now whenever it’s turned.  I found a thread on this topic on a VW web page that recommended adjusting the column alignment using two screws, but my mechanic says there aren’t two screws to adjust it.  He thinks it’s bad wires inside the steering column itself and would prefer just to put a horn button back on the dash.  I hate going back to a horn button on the dash, and I also hate to tear apart the gas tank and steering column and several hours of expensive labor just for a horn.  Anybody have any ideas?

johnsimion2015-09-18 19:47:10

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Direct him first to the wire that jumps the rubber “rag joint” between the steering shaft and the stub that comes out of the steering box. That wire turns with the wheel, and can rub on anything close. I bet it’s frayed and making contact with something.

If that is all good, or even it t isn’t, show him how your steering box clamps on the top tube of your front axle beam. There is one–not two, one!–big bolt that clamps it. It should have a sheet metal surround that is peened or bent around the flats of the bolt to keep it from backing off. Tap that away, loosen the bolt and turn the steering box on the axle slightly to align it with the shaft, if needed. Then bend the metal back ’round the bolt head as before. This you gotta do anyway, if the shaft isn’t straight to the box, so the afore-mentioned rag joint will have a long and happy existence. It may or may not have any effect on the horn malfunction.
    Gordon Waples
    Participant

@allison-gw

Had the same problem, mine has a GT steering wheel, had to take it off and tighten 2 screws on a swivel plate on the top of the steering column, once you get to it it becomes self evident, but that was just my case , hope thats all your’s is

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Both those replies contain good advice.

You only have a few feet of wire and connections to check. Somewhere in those few feet a wire is grounding out.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.