Mazda Miata Chassis & Drive Train

Home Forums General Discussion Mazda Miata Chassis & Drive Train

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Guests
    Participant

@guests

New to the Kit Car Forum but have always admired the MG TDs be they original or replicas. Would like to pose the following questions to the general membership: Does anyone know if there is a MG TD kit available which would be adaptable to use (without extensive surgery) the drive train of the Mazda Miata? I know about the ones based on Chevy and Ford drive trains and was wondering if one of these would be adaptable to the Miata drive train. Given the configuration of the drive train for a VW-based kit, I’m reasonably certain that it would not be a viable candidate for the Miata transplant. Lastly, do the kits come as a body which is fixed to an existing frame or do they come with their own frames? bljacque38921.783912037

Michael Pullen
    Participant

@merlin

There is a beautiful and I believe very high quality Miata based MGTF replica which is currently manufactured in New Zealand. I also belive the company has a few reps in US.  Sorry I don’t remember contact info, but a Google search should locate them pretty easily.  There was some discussion on this forum about the kit last year, but it would probably be easier to find them directly rather than searching our old postings. It’s not a “slavish” reproduction, but rather a slightly modern interpretation. For what it5’s worth, I don’t think you could do better, based on my reading. I would expect it to be quite expensive in it’s own right, not to mention the exchange rate which (I believe) is working against you going that way.  Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Michael, the Merlin guy.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Here is the info on the Miata based TF

Alternative Cars Ltd.

13 207

Onehunga

Auckland,

Phone number: 6496257846

Fax number: 6496365932

Web site address: http://www.sportscars.co.nz

Name: Mr Russell Hooper

Position: Director

Phone number: 6496257846

Mobile number: 6421939436

Company overview

Manufacturer of semi built vehicles ( automobile ). Two models currently available are replicars of the MG TF of 1955 and the SS100 Jaguar of 1937.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

The US Distributor for the TF “variant” is Jim Youngs (Kit Car Builder) brother-in-law. It’s Jim’s wife’s brother. I believe he is in Ohio. I forget his name, but if you e-mail Jim via the http://www.kitcarclub.com website, I’m sure he can hook you up.

When I was interested in building one, 3 years ago at Carlise, they were $17,000 and you had to supply the Miata. Not cheap!

I was impressed with the construction and the room. I actually had to move the seat up one notch!!

It was a solid little ride.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Mazda Miata Chassis & Drive Train’ is closed to new replies.