NEED MGTD INFO

Home Forums General Discussion NEED MGTD INFO

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ALAN ODOM
    Participant

@gator

Hi All,

I need a little help with some questions I have for MGTD owners. I purchased a 1952 or 53 MGTD replica

2 yrs ago for my wife. I was told that it was a factory production replica constructed in 1979. I was also told that that the frame was from a Chevy Chevette but the engine and drive train was a Ford Pinto. The company was a northern company. The car had 9500 miles at the time of purchase and now has 10, 367 after 2 years of ownership. Needless to say that the “new” wore off of my wifes dream car very fast. the car is mechanically perfect and drives great, but has sat in the carport for the last 18 months.  The chrome is starting to pit on the grille and the bumpers, the paint on the fenders have faded. My question is: Can replacement bumpers/grille be purchased anywhere? or can they be rechromed cheaply? I was to refurbish the car for resale. Everything else is perfect!
    Bill Hursh
    Participant

@bill-hursh

Gator,

The grill may be a tough item, but I believe that MG Magic in Florida can hook you up with the fenders and other parts. The phone # is 954-680-2010 They are the most helpful folks I have used concerning these cars.

Are you selling the car?

Good luck.

Bill

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Gator,

It will depend on who manufactured your kit. Some of the kits used reproduction MT-TD parts for the grill and bumpers. They are easy to get, although they may be pricey.

You wrote a “northern company”. If you have a Classic Roadsters Duchess (company is in Fargo North Dakota), your car uses repro original TD parts.

Rechroming is always an option.

Is the body gelcoat? Or paint? If the latter, any rubbing compound will probably help bring the paint back to life. If the former, Meguiars has a line of compounds and waxes for fiberglass, gel-coated boats. I recommend them!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Too bad she lost interest. As Paul M. posted it depends on what manufacturer produced your kit. I have a “northern” kit made by the now defunct British Coach Works (Pennsylvania). They made VW and Chevette based TD Replicas. All of the body hardware on the BCW cars were OEM or Repro MGTD stuff. Even my tailight lenses are glass. In my opinion the Classic Roadsters and British Coach Works were the highest quality MGTD kits as well as being the closest to the real MGTD in dimensions.

As far as I know, the grille shells are no longer available and rechroming is the only viable option unless you want to pay big $$ to find a good used/unused one (if you can).

As far as your car goes, neither the Chevette or Pinto ever had frames. So, when people say it’s a Chevette or Pinto frame, they are incorrect. These cars were unibody vehicles and had no frames.

All of these FRONT ENGINE/REAR DRIVE TD replica’s are built on a fabricated frames, usually made from mild steel square or rectangle tubing by the manufacturer of the kit or a subcontractor they hire. These are made usually made to accept the donor car’s suspension, drivetrain, gas tank, radiator, brake system, steering column, wiring and as much of the other donor car’s parts as possible.

So, I would venture to say that your MGTD is a Pinto OR a Chevette based kit. It would have either the Pinto or Chevette donor car driveline and suspension. I doubt if it is a mixture of both because of the extreme difference indesign of the drivetrain components. The Chevette used a torque tube drivesahft/rear end with a coil spring and control links. The Pinto/Mustang II used open driveshafts and leaf springs. The suspensions are also quite different. You probably have one or the other, but not both.

Good luck.

ALAN ODOM
    Participant

@gator

Thanks so much Guys for all the great information. I did find bumpers for $129.00 ea. which isn’t bad. I will start restoration this summer which can’t be really called restoration because only a few things are needed, but it will be my project this summer.You have been a great help and I will be glad to return the favor if I can in the future. For your info. mine is not the dutchess model I don’t think, just the basic MGTD. I will post a pic soon and maybe it will tell more than I can.

thanks again for all the help!

Alan Odom

Weeki Wachee, Fl
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hello again Alan

Actaully, they are all “basic MG-TD” reproductions.

“Duchess” was the model name for he TD kit produced by Class Roadsters in fargo ND.

If you post a couple pictures, I bet someone on the list can help identify the manufcturer of your kit. Or, look through the gallery and the TD History, Replicas page from the links on the left.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘NEED MGTD INFO’ is closed to new replies.