SS100 Available

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Non MGTD Kit Cars SS100 Available

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

I met a guy over the weekend who is looking to sell his 1937 Jaguar SS100 kit. It is built on a 68 VW. It looks good and drives well. If anyone is interested, his name is Tony, he is in Pittsburgh and he is going to advertise it in a few weeks at $5,600.
    His number is 724-728-1208.
    I think it might be early FiberFab? It has the exposed steering shaft at front fender. Its a bit longer than my MG TD and has tubular bumpers.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Only SS100’s I remember in the US were from Antique & Classic Automotive (NY based, I believe) and Classic Roadsters Duke. There were also the Suffolk SS100 and Steadman TS100 in the UK.

I find it a bit sad the original has become known as the Jaguar SS 100 and the US replicas were adversited as copies of the Jaguar SS 100.

The original was built by SS Cars Ltd. of Coventry, England.

The model is the SS Cars Ltd. Model 100 Jaguar.

The company did not become Jaguar until 1945.

Built from 1936 to 1940, the “100” moniker is because the car could exceed 100 mph.

Seems they liked naming cars after their speeds, as the Jaguar 120 got its number the same way.

The last tidbit for today, the 100 was the first to car to bear the leaping Jaguar on the radiator cap.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Paul, you are a scholar Sir!

The Fiberfab was a punt on my behalf as was the additional of the word Jaguar (I saw the leaping mascot). I am a Jag man myself but have never owned a SS100.

This particular replica seems an odd mixture, to my eye, of SS100 shape but “Dune buggy” bumpers and tail lights. I wish they wouldn’t do that.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Especially since the original SS100 had NO bumpers!

Does that mean you don’t like the VW taillights on my Duchess? Ermm

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Antique & Classic Automotive:

Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duke:

Suffolk SS100:

Steadman TS100:

Paul Mossberg

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

It looks like the Antique and Classic version.

Opps, have I dropped myself in it about your DuchessCry

Don’t you have “lucky” rear lights like me?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

No. I have early style (all red) VW Beetle taillights.

Paul Mossberg

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Gee thanks Paul (I think).  A few months ago, I crossed a few cars off my bucket list.  A Singer 9 Roadster, a SS 100 and a Morgan.  Now, you have me thinking again.  

I actually had (but only in my mind) committed to buying a Morgan about 10 years ago.  The seller wanted $13k and I got in my car and drove over with the intention of buying it as quickly as I could since I got the newspaper early and this was the first day.  When I got there I discovered that Morgan put an English Ford engine in some of their cars.  It was in beautiful condition.  I really wanted the Triumph engine so I passed.  It probably was a steal anyway, but I turned it down.  
    Oh well, maybe in my next life.  
    Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Maybe I’m just too accustomed to seeing the 7-inchers on our TD replicas, but those headlights just look WAY too big to me. Wacko

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

I had a close look at them and I think they are actually a 7″ light set way back in an oversized chrome housing.Smile

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The Antique & Classic and Classic Roadsters reproductions had standard dual-beam 7″ headlamps inside the oversized housing. I am not sure about the two UK cars.

The original SS 100 Jaguar had what are now known as “freaking huge headlights!” 😉

Hey Roy, I took a quick look, there are five SS100 reproductions on eBay right now. I like this one with the Ford Mustang V6, currently at $7,000 with 9 bids.

And a postscript…. the “SS” in “SS 100” stands for Swallow Sidecar. Yes folks. The company that became Jaguar, started in 1922 building sidecars for motorcycles.

PMOSSBERG2013-08-02 12:27:07

Paul Mossberg

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Careful Paul.  Julie’ll hurt you.  

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’m simply providing info Roy.

I don’t control whether you act on it or not.

I’m sure Julie will understand that. Cool 

Paul Mossberg

John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Hi Guys

Some further intel re the huge Jaguar lights on the SS 100. These were lucas units and measured 12″ across the front the model was the P100 lamp. All the kits I have ever seen that us a BIG lamp use a standard 7′ lamp inside a repop 12″ shell. The Suffolk cars etc are a hand made perfect replica, meaning there are the real deal and priced accordingly!!!! As an alternative look at the Lucas P80s these are basically the same lamp but it only measures 10″ across.

John De Brit.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.