'68 wiper switch

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits '68 wiper switch

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Donna Bryant
    Participant

@dkbryant

Finally got a working wiper motor, came with the 2 speed switch that also parks the wipers when the switch is turned to off.  Problem is the switch is not long enough to fit through the dash.  Is there another switch that can be used in place of the original?  Could I use a universal 2 position switch?

As always – thanks for any and all information!

Donna
    Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Donna , I have one for a boat that i got from Bass Pro Shop with park for i ‘m thinking  under $10.00  it adjusted to a full 1.25 inches Good luck  Dan R

Donna Bryant
    Participant

@dkbryant

Thanks Dan – There is a Bass Pro Shop about 30 minutes away.  I’ll also do some checking at 2 other boat places that are closer, too.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

If your problem is a 3/4-inch slab of wood for a dash, you could also use a blade drill to relieve the inside of it. Overdrill through the fiberglass first–an inch and a half diameter hole will more than do it; smaller is better. Then put a 1 1/8 inch wood bit in the wiper switch hole from the back. Crank it in a quarter inch and test fit the switch, etc.

I say this because, from my reading of several forums on Samba and other places, it appears that VW wiper switches are pretty unusual, if not unique. I got my one-speed boat wiper motor to work with my stock switch, but people trying to get their stock VW 2-speed wipers to park right with any switch other than the correct year VW switch were seen pulling their hair out.

Phil
    Participant

@phil

I got my wipers to park correctly by inserting a diode into the park circuit of the motor.

Phil

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Been following this thread in the background. If I understand what I’m reading, most of you are running the original VW wiper switch rather than the 4-post switch that comes with the TD kits. Is this correct? I ask because I’m just now wiring my dash and if there is a problem with the kit wiper switch, now is the time to correct mine.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I used the switch provided in my Duchess kit, with a 1970 VW two speed wiper motor.

Works fine and the wipers “park” automatically whne you turn them off.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Park, is in the wiper motor transmission  there is like cam that kills power at the park position that is why there 2 power wires.  Dan

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Thanks for the info. I also found a wiring schematic for the stock VW Wiper motor. I was confused at first because the power wire and the park wire were connected on the same terminal of the switch. Seemd to me they would be fighting each other. BUT…with the switch turned on, the power by-passes the park circuit (offer less resistance I guess) and runs the motor either in high or low power. Again…thanks for your input as well. Always good to learn.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Allen, Sounds like the schematic is wrong if the “run” and “park” wires of the motor are shown as connected to the same terminal on the switch.  (It wouldn’t be a first.)  Typical wiring has the “park” power supplied by anything that is hot when the key is on. 

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Donna,

My wiper switch stem was not long enough either, so I carved a pocket in the backside of the wood dash for the switch body to rest, and it works perfectly.
    Donna Bryant
    Participant

@dkbryant

Finally got the wipers working.  Called most every boat supply store, auto parts, etc. looking for a switch for 2-speed wiper with park, no luck with any of them.  Went over to the Samba site and found several forum post about wiper switches.  Hooked up a simple toggle (on / off / on) by following a drawing that was posted. Wipers are working great!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.